X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado or router

I'm working with a group at the local school building a set for a school dance. We have to fit a 1/2" plywood piece into a 3/8" dado 3/8" deep into the center of an 8'-2x8 and 10'-2x10. Right now we are using a router and a straight edge to cut the dado. We have access to an older Delta cabinet saw but no dado set. I should be able to cut most of the dado using the one blade and making two passes, although this should leave a small strip in the middle of the dado. Is there a blade with a thicker kerf? I think it would be suicide to stack two 10" blades together (which was suggested). Should we just stick with the router setup?

Re: Dado or router

I would stick with the router. Trying to get a decent dado on a ten foot 2x10 on a table saw is just asking for problems.

Comment

I'd stick with the router, although you should probably make two or three passes gaining depth at each pass.

If that's the setup you have, isn't it working for you or is there a problem that makes you want to change?

CWS

Comment

I thought that it might be easier to use the TS. The router was having trouble but by making 2 or 3 passes it should go easier. Thanks for the input.

Comment

The router is a known entity and a practice your group is familiar with, so I'd stick with that. It is possible to stack 10" IF they're identical, and IF you stagger the teeth, but there's very little gained and too many "IF"s. A stacked dado head is a better choice for the TS if you're against using the router.

Comment

Tchads,

Yes, give it a try (the router) again and do the cuts in a couple of passes. It sounds like you were trying to cut the dado in one pass and that can be a challenge. The general rule of thumb is, much like a thickness planer, take only about an 1/8 inch max.

For one thing, when you're cutting the dado and deep into the groove, the shavings have little place to go, unless your using a good vac and attachment to extract them. Also, check the condition of your bit.

I hope this helps and good luck on the project,

CWS

Comment

Thanks CWS, I wasn't the one using the router last night but will be tomorrow. He was trying to make the full cut in one pass, sometimes volunteers don't have the experience with all the tools available. The condition of the bit is probably an issue, too. I'll be sure to make more passes with shallower cuts and a newer bit. I have to be careful, if I keep repeating the answers I get from this forum, they'll put me in charge!

Comment

Working...
              X