X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• length adjustment of fence - TS2412

I want to add a router table to replace the left extension wing on my TS2412. I've been kicking this idea around for a while, but I'm having trouble figuring our how to attach the new wing.

The best idea I can come up with is to use 1-1/2" or 1-1/4" angle iron bolted to the cast iron table at the front and back. The only problem is, this will only work if it's installed between the table and the fence rails, resulting in the fences being about 3/16 or so further apart than now. Can the fence be adjusted to accomodate this? If not, any better ideas to attach the new table?

I plan on building the new wing out of 1 or 2 layers of 3/4" plywood with 3/4" hardwood banding and laminate top and bottom.

Thanks for any input/ideas.

Dan

Use 1 sheet of 3/4 plywood for the top and build a rim (sub base)around the bottom edges with a 1x2 of some type of hard wood.

Then, line up the new table and mark where you would need to make your holes for mounting to main table. also measure down the appropriate amount for some side bolts for mounting in fence rails.

Once you know where the bolts will mount, then you can add another smaller piece of 1/2 or 3/4" ply between the rails of your sub base to strengthen the wing. Just be sure to mount it an inch or so short of where the bolts go so you can use a wrench in there.

of course, it would be easier to make it on the right side as there is more room and more mounting area. Wish I had a picture, but mine is not yet done.

Comment

Almost forgot, there is no need to laminate teh bottom as you'll only waste time and material. If you want to seal it, just add a coat of paint from left overs around the house. an oil base works the best outdoors.

Comment

Mike,

I thought about this, but...

The centerline of the holes on the cast-iron table is only 5/8 - 3/4" down from the top surface. Not nearly enough rooom for even a 1/2" plywood top as the upper layer of the "sandwich" to have enough clearance for bolt heads / nuts. There does appear to be enough room, however, to attach the new wing to the rails using this method. Are the rails strong enough to support the weight of the new wing plus a router? I only have a small 1-1/2 HP PC router now, but hope to upgrade to that big Hitachi that everyone seems so fond of soon.

I will give some thought to using the right side, though.

Dan

Originally posted by Mike3206:
        Use 1 sheet of 3/4 plywood for the top and build a rim (sub base)around the bottom edges with a 1x2 of some type of hard wood.

Then, line up the new table and mark where you would need to make your holes for mounting to main table. also measure down the appropriate amount for some side bolts for mounting in fence rails.

Comment

Working...
        X