X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• router problems

Hi, I'm having problems cutting a rabbit on my router table. the bit seems to be burning the wood. The router is cutting but it is going really slow.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm using a 3/4" straight bit with a Milwaukee router. I'm going through 3/4" birch plywood. The rabbit is 3/4", 3/8" deep. The bit is brand new.

Mike

Try making the rabbit in two passes.
    Andy B.

Comment

Mike,

Burning comes from friction, heat, speed.
      Your feed rate is too slow and/or bit speed it too high. I'm trusting it's a VS router, so try slowing it way down, and just let the bit eat away at the wood.

Remember, if the wood is burning, so is the bit. Heat dulls the bit much faster than normal use. I have learned you can take a pretty heafty bite out of wood with a slower speed and watching the size of the chips coming from the cut. If it's dust, feed rate is too slow or the bite is too big. If you get alot of vibration, feed rate is too fast. You should see a nice consistant size chip emmiting from the cut, and it should feel like the wood is feeding itself into the bit.

Hope this helps.
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Check the sharpness of your bit. A dull bit will certainly cut less effectively, burn the wood while cutting and could put stress on the motor of your router.

Comment

The bit is probably dull even if it is new. Don't need slow your router down to made the rabbit/dado and you shouldn't have to take two passes either. I have used a 1 1/2 horse PC at full speed to cut 3/4 dados before and tore through the wood fast like. It's all about a sharp cutting edge. BTW what brand of router bit are you using? Perhaps we could all learn something about quality.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I'm using the new Milwaukee Tools router with the hand strap. I don't know how many HPs it has. Does anyone know? It is not VS (my mistake). I bought it because I'm disabled and I need all the control I can get.

The dust comming from the router is very fine, not chips. The wood seems to need a lot of pressure to get it past the bit.

Mike

Comment

About 1 3/4, Michael.

If you are getting just dust and burning, you are feeding too slowly. If this is because the feed pressure is very high, I agree with Mike3206, the bit is no good. I would return it to my vendor and ask them to take a look at it. Every company has some small amount of junk that escapes.

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X