X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sad finger joint...

I put together a jig to make a finger joint without using a stacked dado... the plan was to use the thickness of the stock blade... It turned out alright, but the gap between the blade and the spacing stick was so small that the spacing stick cracked loose right at the last cut...

So my very 1st self-made jig is broken now, although I really like the way the finger joint turned out (see photo: it is unsanded of course).
    I would like to find a fail-safe way of making finger joints the width of the stock blade...

Has anyone used the aluminum adjustable box joint jig??? It costs $99... but if it's accurate and reliable... I will consider the purchase...
    I also noticed that freud makes a dado set made for box joints...
    anyone have any advice...

Here is the joint...

Re: sad finger joint...

Thats too bad about your first jig breaking. You might try this link. They have a video on how to make a fairly simple box joint jig.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/fil...tid=1213841038

Comment

I have the freud set for box joints. Works great, and not just for box cuts either. Good for Dadoes too that are 1/4 or 3/8, because they leave a flat bottom pretty much when they cut. I got mine at sears for a good deal and it has been well worth the price (I only paid $79!)

Comment

The freud set is $79 plus shipping online... I'll order it later this week. Although I like the idea of smaller fingers... it obviously makes the jig weaker... (unless I use a metal L-bracket to hold the previously cut piece). It's hard to explain... but I'll work on it and get back to you guys!!! Thanks for the help and I liked the video... although the guy in it makes it look so easy!!!

Comment

They always do make it look so easy.

Comment

Try a finishing nail driven into the support instead of the spacing stick. When you make the additional cut for the stick it weakens the wood. If made with hardwood it would last a long time. And also takes about 5 seconds to make. (I saw this in a tablesaw techniques book.)

Comment

Working...
            X