Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What nailer to use for mouldings, trim, etc.

What type of nailer do you guys suggest using for mouldings, trim, etc. around the house for a DIYer? 18ga brad nailer, 15ga angled, 16ga finish?

Re: What nailer to use for mouldings, trim, etc.

I use a 15 ga angled finish nailer for the majority of trim work. However it does leave quite a hole that you will later have to come back and fill. I have since also aquired a 23 ga pin nailer that works fantastic for smaill detailed projects.

Comment

If I was looking to just get one "universal" finish nailer for now would you recommend 16 or 18ga? I will probably just be using it for crown moulding, baseboards, etc.
      Last edited by mheriot; 02-26-2008, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Either one would probably be fine. You might be able to get just a bit more length out of the 15 ga nailer.

Comment

I use 18g for assembly of built up moldings etc, esp if I'm not using much glue.

I use 23g for the same purpose but only where I will be using glue AND it will be up-close visible AND I'm preassembling the molding in my shop.

I use 16g for installation. A few 16g 2" nails driven in at opposing angles holds incredibly well. It leaves a sizable divot, but one that is easily patched with filler, or even using those matching filler "crayons".

So, for what you described, I'd recommend a 16g nailer. Works great for crown. Works great for baseboards. Buy lots of nail filler!

Comment

Working...
          X