X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Router?

Wheres the love for the Ridgid router???

I have one and use it almost exclusively in a Rockler router table, it works great, quiet, lots of power, the light is handy, and its very easy to change bit height while in the table, just drill a hole in the insert to match up with the "T" handle that came with the router, it couldn't be easier! And you don't have to take the handles off to use it in a table.

Comment

look at the triton 2 1/4 . works great and you can change

bit from on top of the table (if you table mount) about 200.00

comes with a lot of accsesories you can also get a table plate from

woodpeckers.com
      if you table mount you have to remove the safety pc

which is a small plastic piece which prevents start up when using hand held

Comment

Larry86,

I too have the Ridgid, and while I really like it, there's some shortcomings. First I think it's a bit on the tall side, so it doesn't feel as comfortable to me as a shorter router does. The depth setting on the plunge base (except for the adjustable pad) isn't really any better than my cheap Ryobi, and I hate the locking lever, it's just not in a good position unless you've got big hands and a long thumb. Also, the knob/handles are so big that it won't fit into a standard-sized plate in the router table. Trying to get the handles off is almost a major piece of surgery and I don't want to damage the tool even making the attempt.

Probably the biggest complaint though is the lack of support for this tool. When I went to buy a table for use with it, the first thing I did was write Tech Support and ask if there was a "standard" that the baseplate was designed for (had to match those mounting holes with another router already on the market). The reply that I got back was a rather short, "the R2900 isn't designed to work in a router table". So, NO help at all. Only because of this forum did I get the answer I needed. (Thankyou!)

When the R2900 was introduced, it was given little fanfare, and no accessories. The manual offers only the most basic of information. Only through personal research by forum members did we discover that certain Porter-Cable accessories would fit. Since then, no D-handle base, no guide bushings, no edge guide, or anything else.

Personally I think it's a nice tool and I got it at a great price. But, I think TTI/Ridgid has a bit to learn in the marketing of thier tools. You just can't drop it in a place like Home Depot and then ignore it. Some tools, like routers, need accessories and a task-knowledgeable support staff to ensure the tool's value.

CWS

Comment

hello, here's my thoughts . I have sears 1 1/2 and 2 hp , Bosch 1613evs plunge , pc 690 , PC 894 set , Freud 1700 , Milwaukee 1 3/4 . my wife is sending me to a router detox center , she seen me bidding on a dewalt 618 on ebay . I say , you can never have enough routers so get them all . jest kidding . out of all of them i would rate them by their hp/amp and the way they feel . what i like , you may not . when you hold them you can feel the force . p.s. ridgid is next

Comment

I have several too, including a RIGID. I bought it mostly for the plunge base. My go-to router is the 1 3/4 HP Milwaukee. I just like the feel of the body-grip base. I do most of my edge work with it. The hand strap makes the thing feel like a glove.

Comment

I haven't seen the Hitachi KM12VC in person, but I did look at it online. I also read a review of it; that turned me off.

http://woodworking.about.com/od/reco...achiKM12VC.htm

"The fixed base seemed a bit narrow and the motor looks like it was positioned somewhat higher than comparable models. This gave the feeling that the unit was somewhat unbalanced. Also, keep in mind that when the router is in its lowest position on the fixed base, the collet is too far from the base, meaning that some router bits cannot be seated properly in the collet when mounting the router with the fixed base in a router table. While using this router in a router table, I broke the shank of a straight-cutting bit simply because I couldn't seat the bit deeply enough in the collet."

See that exert from the review?? It says the collet is too far from the base and can cause problems. But the cost still makes this router very attractive as a 1st router.

So the question for those that have this router is...... Is the collet too far from the base at it's lowest position? Also does the fixed base seem unstable?

Thanks,

- Dae

Comment

At last count I think I have 12 routers on the shelve. Most are Porter Cable, because they have a real good line of accessories. I also have a couple Makita D handle's that I like very much and a Bosch that I don't like so much. I stay away from anything yellow just because I've had way too many of them crap out.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dae View Post
                  I haven't seen the Hitachi KM12VC in person, but I did look at it online. I also read a review of it; that turned me off.

http://woodworking.about.com/od/reco...achiKM12VC.htm

"The fixed base seemed a bit narrow and the motor looks like it was positioned somewhat higher than comparable models. This gave the feeling that the unit was somewhat unbalanced. Also, keep in mind that when the router is in its lowest position on the fixed base, the collet is too far from the base, meaning that some router bits cannot be seated properly in the collet when mounting the router with the fixed base in a router table. While using this router in a router table, I broke the shank of a straight-cutting bit simply because I couldn't seat the bit deeply enough in the collet."

See that exert from the review?? It says the collet is too far from the base and can cause problems. But the cost still makes this router very attractive as a 1st router.

So the question for those that have this router is...... Is the collet too far from the base at it's lowest position? Also does the fixed base seem unstable?

Thanks,

- Dae
                  Dae,

I never read that review. That's the first time I read anyone say that about the collet. As for the base, I didn't feel that it was unstable when I had it in my hand the other day, unless compared to the short DeWalt. Planned on making an offset base anyway. Hmm...guess we'll see early this week when I get mine in. I'll post some measurements and pics (wonder why the guy in that review didn't...).

Nature_Photog, have you run into this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by djfunk View Post
                    Hmm...guess we'll see early this week when I get mine in. I'll post some measurements and pics (wonder why the guy in that review didn't...).
                    I found another review stating there was a problem.

http://wood.jclement.ca/files/698b48...ae6d14-11.html

"Unfortunately, mine did not come perfectly centered and the use of flat head screws prevents fine-tuning of the positioning. Also I notice in about 1/3 of the way through it's travel there is a small bump that shifts the bit laterally (not good) although the bit returns to the center right after that point so as long as that isn't the height you need... "

Please let me know if yours has this problem. Also who did you order from?? I found a site that said they had it for $99 but I can't tell if it's new or reconditioned. They don't state it's reconditioned, but the warranty is only 1 year, which is the same as the reconditioned units.

- Dae

Comment

Dae,

I never read that review. That's the first time I read anyone say that about the collet. As for the base, I didn't feel that it was unstable when I had it in my hand the other day, unless compared to the short DeWalt. Planned on making an offset base anyway. Hmm...guess we'll see early this week when I get mine in. I'll post some measurements and pics (wonder why the guy in that review didn't...).

Nature_Photog, have you run into this problem?
                      I've not had any of the problems mentioned in the magazine review posted.

When not being hand-held, the Hitachi is used in a Bosch router table with both 1/2" and 1/4" shank bits. They fit just fine at the prescribed depth in the collet.

As mentioned in a prior post I have other routers (Dewalt, PC, and a really old Stanley, and the Hitachi is my favorite.

---Mike

Comment

Please let me know if yours has this problem. Also who did you order from?? I found a site that said they had it for $99 but I can't tell if it's new or reconditioned. They don't state it's reconditioned, but the warranty is only 1 year, which is the same as the reconditioned units.

- Dae
                        I ordered mine from http://www.reconditionedsales.com/ . They are the only "authorized" reconditioned Hitachi dealer. They have a 1 year warranty, so if you found one stating that, I too would assume that it is reconditioned.

And wouldn't you know it. I just went to the site and they're now selling the kit for $7 less. ARGHH! Oh, and standard shipping is free (2-day/next day is xtra) from reconditioned sales. Of course, it's probably just wrapped in the sale price, but take that into consideration. More to come...

Comment

And wouldn't you know it. I just went to the site and they're now selling the kit for $7 less. ARGHH! Oh, and standard shipping is free (2-day/next day is xtra) from reconditioned sales. Of course, it's probably just wrapped in the sale price, but take that into consideration. More to come...
                          I don't know what your talking about. The price I see there is $102, which is what I saw yesterday and I can't find anything that says free standard shipping.

Where are you seeing this??

- Dae

Comment

I don't know what your talking about. The price I see there is $102, which is what I saw yesterday and I can't find anything that says free standard shipping.

Where are you seeing this??

- Dae
                            Sorry, $7 less than what I paid. If you pull up an item, look to the right side of the page. There is a Calculate Shipping box. FedEx Ground will come up free (for me it does), and the rest are xtra.

Comment

I made it to a different Lowes today and was able to see the Hitachi and the Dewalt, side by side. The Hitachi felt better in my hands. I had a friend with me so I asked her which felt better to her too; she agreed... Hitachi.

Back to my office... I call Hitachi to make sure the online seller is an authorized seller and they confirm. Ordering I did and now can't wait to get it in my hands. I also order a set of Woodline bits. Order the 30 piece starter set for under $90 shipped.

- Dae

Comment

Dae,

Get your router in yet? Mine's on the delivery truck for today, so I get to play with it over the weekend.

Oh, and to revisit one of the reviews you posted about the collet being too far when the router is at it's lowest position. Watching some of the episodes on thewoodwisperer.com (thanks CWS for posting in a diff thread), I was reminded of collet extenders. It's an extra expense, and I haven't found a cheap one yet (just a quick search on Rockler and Woodcraft), but an option none the less.

Comment

Working...
                                X