Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Router?

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
    Larry86,

I too have the Ridgid, and while I really like it, there's some shortcomings. First I think it's a bit on the tall side, so it doesn't feel as comfortable to me as a shorter router does. The depth setting on the plunge base (except for the adjustable pad) isn't really any better than my cheap Ryobi, and I hate the locking lever, it's just not in a good position unless you've got big hands and a long thumb. Also, the knob/handles are so big that it won't fit into a standard-sized plate in the router table. Trying to get the handles off is almost a major piece of surgery and I don't want to damage the tool even making the attempt.

Probably the biggest complaint though is the lack of support for this tool. When I went to buy a table for use with it, the first thing I did was write Tech Support and ask if there was a "standard" that the baseplate was designed for (had to match those mounting holes with another router already on the market). The reply that I got back was a rather short, "the R2900 isn't designed to work in a router table". So, NO help at all. Only because of this forum did I get the answer I needed. (Thankyou!)

When the R2900 was introduced, it was given little fanfare, and no accessories. The manual offers only the most basic of information. Only through personal research by forum members did we discover that certain Porter-Cable accessories would fit. Since then, no D-handle base, no guide bushings, no edge guide, or anything else.

Personally I think it's a nice tool and I got it at a great price. But, I think TTI/Ridgid has a bit to learn in the marketing of thier tools. You just can't drop it in a place like Home Depot and then ignore it. Some tools, like routers, need accessories and a task-knowledgeable support staff to ensure the tool's value.

CWS
    I've been eyeing the Ridgid router kit myself. I had read a pretty decent review of the kit over at http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgdr2900rvu.html which seemed to indicate that the router would work with any table or plate that the Porter Cable 690 & 890 series would work with.

And I was also under the impression that the router supported both the ¼” and ½” collets which would allow it to work with just about any accessory out there.

Am I mistaken here? If so it could definately effect my decision on this purchase. I'm a bit of a router newbie here so any help would be appriciated, I have no desire to drop 200 bones on an item I'll find out is unable to do the jobs I bought it for.

Comment

Originally posted by joe f View Post
      I've been eyeing the Ridgid router kit myself. I had read a pretty decent review of the kit over at http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgdr2900rvu.html which seemed to indicate that the router would work with any table or plate that the Porter Cable 690 & 890 series would work with.

And I was also under the impression that the router supported both the ¼” and ½” collets which would allow it to work with just about any accessory out there.

Am I mistaken here? If so it could definately effect my decision on this purchase. I'm a bit of a router newbie here so any help would be appriciated, I have no desire to drop 200 bones on an item I'll find out is unable to do the jobs I bought it for.
      Yes, the Ridgid has both a 1/4 and half collet.
      As far as a table goes, I bought a Rockler router table with a blank insert, and just matched up the router to the plate and drilled the holes, it was easy.
      Someone else probably knows if the porter-cable stuff works though.

Comment

For djfunk, Dae, and and other Hitachi router fans here on the forum.

I just finished running some Red Oak raised panels using a Bosch bit set and the Hitachi router.
        The end product turned out great.
        Hitachi speed control set about "4", with nary a hint of not enough router power, and the cuts are very smooth.
        Hope you guys enjoy your new routers as much as I enjoy mine.

--- Mike

Comment

Accessories that fit the PC690 will fit the R2900 router. I have my R2900 mounted in a Rockler table on a PC690 insert. I also use the PC edge guide that fits the 690.

Comment

My local HD has the Milwaukee 1&3/4 router for $96.50. Great tool.
            The combo kit runs around $210.00, but not at HD.
            Steve.

Comment

JoeF,

See what I mean about this forum... lots of great advice on the Ridgid R2900 router!!

Like the previous posts, I too am using the Rockler router table, with the PC 690 compatible plate. Perfect match for the mounting holes. Likewise the edge guide that I use is the PC690 guide available at Home Depot.

With regard to the PC690-compatible router mounting plate, the only thing you may want to do is match up the plate and drill a single hole that will allow you to use the "T" handle, for above table adjustment.

If you purchase the Rockler table, I also suggest that purchase the 1-3/16 inch plastic insert for use with P-C style bushings. These are available at Lee-Valley and will safely provide clearance aroung whatever size router bit you are using. If you would like, I can post item numbers for both Rockler and Lee-Valley.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really liked the LED lighting and clear base on the Ridgid router, but after reading a number of reviews noticed that it's depth adjustment wasn't terribly accurate. All of the fancy features don't mean a thing if you don't have accuracy. So I ended up picking up the Bosch 1617EVSPK kit when it was on sale for $20 cheaper than the Ridgid.

It was really a tough call but the sale price of $189.99, and the number of reviews I'd read which placed the router at the top in terms of performance & quality sold me on it.

Comment

Working...
                X