X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Router?

1st let me say I know nothing about routers, but want one.

I was window shopping yesterday and noticed that the Dewalt and Ridgid were the same price.

I like the lifetime warranty of the Ridgid, but I'm hoping I'll never need to use it. The Dewalt routers been around longer so I'm guessing any attachment I might want will be readily available. But then again, I hear most many of the PC parts work. Dangit, I wish I know more about these things. Maybe the Dewalt better, maybe better adjustments or is the Ridgid have more features or something just better built??

Like I said, I know nothing about routers so someone please tell me which is the better buy and why.

Thanks,

- Dae

Re: Which Router?

Some routers are better suited for mounting in a table, and some are better for hand use. There are also lots and lots of opinions about which is best.

The combo kits that include a fixed and plunge base offer the most versatility, but if it's going to be strictly a table router, that might not be necessary. If I were looking for a combo kit I'd give a long serious look at the Milwaukee set. In the end, it's important that whatever you get is comfortable and intuitive to you...especially for hand use. You really can't go wrong with PC, DW, MW, Bosch, Freud, Triton, Makita, etc., and I don't know much about the Ridgid.

Comment

I was in a similiar situation - knew nothing about routers other than I wanted one. Since the rest of my hand tools are Dewalt thats what I got (the combo kit). I have nothing to compare it to but it seems to work well and I like it. Had I had to buy another one I would go with the Bosch, slightly cheaper and the reviews I found tend to favor it over the competitors.

Comment

Similar boat here, know little about it.. just "wanted one". After spending ~ 1 hour in Lowes playing the 618 and the Bosch, I ordered the DeWalt 618PK (in Nov) for $180 shipped. Received the $40 rebate just a few weeks ago... total out of pocket $140, makes it cheaper than Bosch.

I chose the 618 over Bosch coz, to me, I find it is much easier to adjust height with the fixed base AND changing base (some have argued with me on this, but this is just personal preference).

Note that there is no above the height adjustment for 618, but it is so easy with the 618 that this is not an issue to me whatsoever.

The only grief I have on DeWalt is relatively poor packaging inside the box.... but I can;t complain for $140 a set.

But if it did NOT have the $40 rebate, I would have bought the Milwaukee 5616-24 combo .. reviews suggest that it is a sweet set. I believe International Tools still have it for <$200 shipped.

Happy shopping

Originally posted by Pez View Post
        I was in a similiar situation - knew nothing about routers other than I wanted one. Since the rest of my hand tools are Dewalt thats what I got (the combo kit). I have nothing to compare it to but it seems to work well and I like it. Had I had to buy another one I would go with the Bosch, slightly cheaper and the reviews I found tend to favor it over the competitors.

Comment

I have a 3-base Ryobi set (cheap), but it works okay. Still I wanted something better and purchased the Ridgid when it was on sale a year ago. I like, runs smooth, not as loud as many others, and it works well in my router table with the T-handle that allows height adjustment from above the table.

However, it's a bit on the tall side and doesn't feel as comfortable (to me) as my shorter Ryobi, although the build quality is far superior on the Ridgid.

I like the LED lights in the Ridgid, and the speed adjustment is great. It also takes a few of the Porter-Cable type accessories, like the edge guide, guide bushings, base-plates, etc.

I think if you do a lot of checking, you'll find Porter-Cable routers to be one of the top brands and certainly almost a standard. That's saying nothing against the DeWalt or other brands... the P-C routers just seem to be over-whelmingly popular.

CWS

Comment

The Ridgid set is very good. The led lights and clear bases are very practical. You can use Porter Cable accessories on it since Ridgid doesn't make any for it. The only drawbacks are limited base options. Only the two you get. Fine adjustment is a little on the poor side due to flimsy plastic adjuster parts. The dust collection is really its weakest point. Poorly thought out, fragile and largely innefective. The over the top hookup like on some of the PC bases seems a lot more logical. The ridgid set has the vac ports sticking sraight out the back and really low on the base so the hose tends to interfere with guides or clamps. I've gotten used to the fact that I will get completely showered in sawdust whenever I fire up the router. Unless those little bugs are worked out it would not be my first choice the next time around prices being equal or similar to something like a PC or Dewalt kit.

Comment

Based on the current posts, it seems unwise to go with Ridgid.

I guess, I'm going to pass on the Ridgid, but look at some of the others. Maybe the trick will be to get my hands on them to just see how they feel.

Thanks all for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Dae View Post
                Maybe the trick will be to get my hands on them to just see how they feel.
                I've been shopping for a router for a few months now. Still trying to decide how much I'll use it after my upcoming project... I've been reading and reading. As was stated above, PC is the standard. There are almost as many people who like the Bosch and DeWalt, combined. But it really seems like it widdles down to 2 things: feel and accessories.

Of course, the PC has the most accessories. But when I finally went to a brick-n-mortar store and put some in my hand, I'd have to say that IMO the PC was the least comfortable. I liked how the Ridgid felt, but didn't like the height adjustment. The Ryobi was pretty comfortable too, but while I happily own many a Ryobi, I don't think I'd buy the router. I'm currently looking into the Hitachi KMC12 kit. I've read many positive reviews, and you can get it reconditioned for $110. Most of the negatives people have with the Hitachi is how you adjust the height w/ the fixed base, two wrench system for changing bits, and the lack of accessories... But I plan on making my own table, and after that can make my own accessories (offset base, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by djfunk View Post
                  I've been shopping for a router for a few months now. Still trying to decide how much I'll use it after my upcoming project... I've been reading and reading. As was stated above, PC is the standard. There are almost as many people who like the Bosch and DeWalt, combined. But it really seems like it widdles down to 2 things: feel and accessories.

Of course, the PC has the most accessories. But when I finally went to a brick-n-mortar store and put some in my hand, I'd have to say that IMO the PC was the least comfortable. I liked how the Ridgid felt, but didn't like the height adjustment. The Ryobi was pretty comfortable too, but while I happily own many a Ryobi, I don't think I'd buy the router. I'm currently looking into the Hitachi KMC12 kit. I've read many positive reviews, and you can get it reconditioned for $110. Most of the negatives people have with the Hitachi is how you adjust the height w/ the fixed base, two wrench system for changing bits, and the lack of accessories... But I plan on making my own table, and after that can make my own accessories (offset base, etc.).
                  I have the Hitachi router, along with 3 other brands. It works great with an 'intuitive feel' and is my favorite. It's also very quiet. My only gripe is the 2 wrench arrangement for changing bits. Got mine on the Hitachi rebate program after buying a sliding CMS.

---Mike

Comment

I haven't used the Ridgid.
                    I have the Bosch 1617 kit and the Dewalt DW618 3 base kit. Both are excellent routers. The DW accepts PC bushings but the Bosch needs an optional base or adaptor to do this. I find the DC much better on the Dewalt and for me it is more comfortable for hand use.
                    The Bosch stays in the router table and does an excellent job there.
                    With either of these 2 you won't go wrong.
                    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I have the DeWalt 3 base kit, and love it. I'm just a hobbyist, but use most of my woodshop for our ongoing house renovations.

With that said, I have used all three bases for different things, and I'm glad I had the flexibility.
                      The fixed base stays attached to my router table. It's solid, easy to get the router in and out, easy to adjust, etc. If you spend a little bit of money to get a separate power switch unit, this is a great setup.

I use the D-handle base for almost all of my freehand routing, and dovetail jig work. It's phenomenally comfortable, very stable and, again, very easy to adjust accurrately.

I use the plunge base on occasion, mostly for hobby/project oriented woodworking... juice groove on cutting boards... dados on awkward sized things, etc.

I've yet to bog the motor down, even doing large profiles in oak and walnut, or 1/2" rabbets in red oak. As long as you manage your feed rate, you'll find this motor can do just about anything.

Now, as a comparison, I had a Ryobi router and their mini-table kit (well I still have it...) The DeWalt is like a Lexus compared to a Honda Civic.

Comment

I bought the 2 pc .. now I'm looking for the D-Handle ... hope to come across some good deal ...

Comment

Originally posted by Nature_Photog View Post
                          I have the Hitachi router, along with 3 other brands. It works great with an 'intuitive feel' and is my favorite. It's also very quiet. My only gripe is the 2 wrench arrangement for changing bits. Got mine on the Hitachi rebate program after buying a sliding CMS.

---Mike
                          Just got back from Lowes...the nail has been put in the coffin. That router feels great, not as "plastic-y" as the pictures make it seem, and it's pretty light too. I'm pulling up the website to buy my Hitachi router kit right now. I can't see why anyone would complain about adjusting the height on this router either. Moves like melted butter. Maybe different after it gets some sawdust in it, but that's why you keep your tools clean.

For those who are interested, here's the website: http://www.reconditionedsales.com/

Dae, if you haven't checked this router out, I recommend you do. Like you, this is my first router. Through all my research, I've kept hearing people (especially the awesome guys here at ridgidforum) say not to skimp on this purchase. Hard to find a deal like this.

Comment

Originally posted by djfunk View Post
                            Just got back from Lowes...the nail has been put in the coffin. That router feels great, not as "plastic-y" as the pictures make it seem, and it's pretty light too. I'm pulling up the website to buy my Hitachi router kit right now. I can't see why anyone would complain about adjusting the height on this router either. Moves like melted butter. Maybe different after it gets some sawdust in it, but that's why you keep your tools clean.

For those who are interested, here's the website: http://www.reconditionedsales.com/

Dae, if you haven't checked this router out, I recommend you do. Like you, this is my first router. Through all my research, I've kept hearing people (especially the awesome guys here at ridgidforum) say not to skimp on this purchase. Hard to find a deal like this.
                            Good deal on the Hitachi router dj. I think you'll like it even more after hearing how quiet is runs.
                            The locking lever has a ball bearing in the mechanism and is pretty sawdust resistant. Great price too.

---Mike

Comment

I also opted for the Dewalt DW618 three-base base kit last year. Similarly to Wood_Junkie, I wanted one base to keep in the router table, the d-handle for hand routing, and the plunge base. It was the best bang for the buck at the time of purchase.

Comment

Working...
                              X