Unusual behavior

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unusual behavior

You guys sure made me feel much better about saving every little scrap of wood,,Now does anyone have a use for sawdust? Got several trash bags full and just can't seem to make it to the trash dumpster hmmmm maybe mix some glue with it and mold it sorta like MDF yea thats a good idea..............

Comment

Actually if you or your wife garden, I have heard that you are supposed to till in some of the sawdust into your soil and it helps hold the moisture and gives added nutrients. It also really helps if you have the hard pan clays like we do around here.

Comment

Originally posted by cadman59501 View Post
        Actually if you or your wife garden, I have heard that you are supposed to till in some of the sawdust into your soil and it helps hold the moisture and gives added nutrients. It also really helps if you have the hard pan clays like we do around here.
        I had read this also, but some of the guys at Woodcraft cautioned against this, especially for certain "toxic" or "irritating" woods (e.g. black walnut) as they can add unwanted things to the soil and actually can hold too much moisture (thus causing root rot or something).

They said it's OK as long as the soil & fertilizer to woodchips (not sawdust) is at a reasonable ratio. I read somewhere that the chips that come flying out of your planer are the best for garden use.

Comment

My Dad uses wood chips to create pathways around his garden. This seems to be working very well, as the dust/chip combo is soft, yet doesn't promote weed growth. He never uses it as an amendment in his garden soil. Usually, he'll put down the dust/chip then water the garden, which will wash the dust into the walkway soil. It also makes a nice look around the herb garden section.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Unusual or unwanted behavior? Heck no. It's normal AND required for a woodworker! As for tilling the sawdust into the garden you will need a little extra nitrogen to help break it down. If you don't your soil can become deficient. Relax, enjoy and horde those scraps - especially the hardwoods!
            Later,
            Chiz
            https://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/frown.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...es/redface.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...s/rolleyes.pnghttps://www.ridgidforum.com/core/ima...lies/smile.png

Comment

I recently moved and when I was packing up the garage/shop I thought to myself, why the heck have I kept all these scraps for so long, well I guess now is as good as time as any to pitch them. Guess I couldn’t bring myself to do it, now they are all piled in the new shop.

Woodslayer

Comment

What's unusual about that? I have about 4 boxes of very useful "smaller pieces of stock" like that. Each box is about 2'x2'x4'.

My wife even got in on this a few months back - I had made a table (maple) and banded it with purpleheart. She was afraid I was going to throw out the "scraps" (we've been married almost 30 years, and you'd think she'd have learned by now), so SHE came down and saved them into HER collection of "small beautiful pieces of wood which serve no purpose except to be there."

Hmmm. That sounds like the description of our old cat.

But I digress. Actually I have almost enough to make the end-grain 2" thick table top I'm planning - end grain mixing oak, hickory, walnut, maple, purpleheart, whenge, butternut, and a couple of others. I just need to do a few more projects first so that I'll have enough left over ...

Comment

Working...
                X