X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual behavior

I just got started back into woodworking this year and have found myself getting into an unusual bahavior, I can't bring myself to throw away what is obviously waste material I am accumulating small pieces of wood I probally will never use. Is this behavior normal?

Re: Unusual behavior

LOL...

I do the same thing. I just started woodworking a couple months ago and one of the corners in my basement has an abundance of scrap material.

I think I should build a standing box to hold it all, instead of just keeping it on the floor.

My reasoning is that you never know when you'll need that perfect sized scrap piece...

Comment

When you do finally throw them away, or burn them, a week later you'll wish you had those small chunks...
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I tend to do the same. Unless they are really small scraps I keep them around. What I'll do is organize them into sizes that are roughly similar. If I start stacking too many scraps of the same size then I throw some away. Basically keep a small emergency stock of small sizes. It's very convenient when you only need that small piece and you can save the trouble of cutting and prepping a piece of good large stock.

Comment

Unusual behaviour!!! What unusual behaviour? Sounds pretty normal to me. Heck, I've still got scraps from projects..... Well, just you never mind, I don't want to embarass myself here.

As previously cited, those scraps can certainly come in handy. A few corner blocks here and there, maybe some wedges, a sliver of this and corner of that, all kinds of uses for sure. Only when it becomes too small to handle on the bandsaw or has reached the eyes of the all too neat wife (for the ninth or tenth time) does it really become "scrap".

CWS

Comment

What's fun is to cut them to a given size and glue them together. Then you work with them and make up something special as a project. That way your scraps don't go to waste. Get creative and see what you can come up with.

Comment

I thought that keeping all wood scraps no matter how big or small was in the top 10 rules of how to become a woodworker

Comment

I had this *exact* *same* "problem". I solved it by buying a few new tools... you know, turning tools... a lathe... and all the accoutrement that goes with that, and started making pens.

Now, about $400 later, I no longer have any questionable scraps... I just have pen blanks. My wife, of course, doesn't see the rationale in saving $0.50 worth of scrap wood. But, she's just silly! At $11 / bf, that's at least.. umm.. $0.80 scrap! Nevermind that I've sold a dozen pens and recouped at least 20% of what I spent to save the scrap!

Another thought is to take Woussko's suggestion and glue 'em up. At the least you could make random patterned end-grain cutting boards.

Comment

I keep a box in my shop and if the scrap fits in - out it goes. Of course the size of the box has been known to change depending on the amount and type of scrap wood I have. Make sure the box is a rectangle so you can justify keeping the smaller pieces.

Comment

I started out with a box...actually a leftover huge drawer from a bench that I didn't use. Now, I still have that big drawer...but it's full. So I added a 5 gal. bucket. That's now full too. Obviously I need a bigger container!!

I also now have a lathe to justify all those scrap pieces! Most are walnut or maple. How can you throw out a 2 foot long 1" by 1/4" thick piece of walnut?!?! I just KNOW I'll come up with a project that needs that.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                      How can you throw out a 2 foot long 1" by 1/4" thick piece of walnut?!?! I just KNOW I'll come up with a project that needs that.
                      I made a set of dresser valets that required 1/4" thick walnut, for a few parts. There ya go!

Comment

I am in agreement with the rest. I save way too much scaps and have them stored in boxes in the corner of the shop. I'll probably thin out most of it this summer by burning them in the campfires (assuming the forest doesn't burn too early this year and prevent us from having campfires!). The rest I save and often find myself digging through to find something at some point.
                        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I thought that under the radial arm saw was the correct place for those small scraps. and it is amazing to me how many times I am pulling something out of that pile of scraps, but I do use them for kindling from time to time for the wood stove, when I can not keep the pile under the saw any more.

and for a little longer scrap I have a corner of the shop and then there's the shop attic, and ...
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                            I started out with a box...actually a leftover huge drawer from a bench that I didn't use. Now, I still have that big drawer...but it's full. So I added a 5 gal. bucket. That's now full too. Obviously I need a bigger container!!

I also now have a lathe to justify all those scrap pieces! Most are walnut or maple. How can you throw out a 2 foot long 1" by 1/4" thick piece of walnut?!?! I just KNOW I'll come up with a project that needs that.
                            I started with a 3 gal bucket, went to several 5s, and now have 4 1/2 thirty gal garbage cans. Guess its time to run to the Dump!!

Go
                            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I try to keep mine sorted by species for the more common stuff: Maple, Cherry, Oak, Walnut, etc. and a bucket for exotic stuff for pen blanks and things like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X