X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVLP Sprayer

I'm growing tired of brushing polyurethane onto my projects, and am considering an "avid-hobbyist-level" HVLP sprayer. Ideally, it would be something I could use for both polyurethane and for my triannual painting of my deck. (It took many days to do that the first time, with brushes and rollers....never again!)

I'm considering the Campbell-Hausfeld HV2500 and the Earlex 5000. Both are around $300.

Any thoughts on either of these two, or HVLP sprayers in general? Is it asking too much to have one product at this price point that does both poly and large painting projects?

Re: HVLP Sprayer

I've only used one HVLP sprayer, this one:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44677

It's $70 and works great for me and many others. Rockler and Woodcraft sell identical units for $100.
    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I use a plain old Husky (campbell hausfeld made) HVLP gun running off a 30 gal compressor to spray poly and it works great. The results are perfectly professional looking. I have never used a turbine type sprayer but I don't see why it shouldn't work as well.
      Last edited by Velosapien; 02-29-2008, 10:58 AM.

Comment

KenM: After I posted, I did notice this model on the Rockler site and my Rockler catalog ($99 on website, $79 from catalog). The reviews on Rockler's site were very positive. Along with your recommendation, this might be the best bet. The main complaints I've seen from most HVLP sprayer reviews is the ability to spread thicker latex, but no problems with stain and clear finishes. I think it makes sense to get something like this for finishing, and to buy or rent a dedicated power painter for the deck, when the time comes (summer '09, maybe).

(Edit: I just ordered it, as a matter of fact!)

Thanks, guys.
        Last edited by steveKane; 02-29-2008, 09:22 PM. Reason: We have a developing story.....

Comment

Hvlp can spray just about any material you ust have to thin it. Latex has some flow control stuff you use. I woud recommend an airless for it though

Comment

I would second Knary's statements here. An hvlp can handle anything if worked enough. Its intented for precise milspec applications though. Your triannual porch-paint will become an annual porch-paint if you go thinning it! You got the right idea though, just rent or borrow an airless every 3 years for the porch.

Comment

Steve,

For you deck I would recommend getting a pesticide sprayer, one of those small plastic drums that you manually pump to pressurize. According to my FIL this works like a charm and when it comes time this spring, this is how I will be sealing my fence...

Comment

For you deck I would recommend getting a pesticide sprayer, one of those small plastic drums that you manually pump to pressurize. According to my FIL this works like a charm and when it comes time this spring, this is how I will be sealing my fence...
                Funny...I heard about this method literally today from a co-worker. Do you think this will this work for an acrylic latex deck stain? Or is that too thick?

Comment

Originally posted by automobiliben View Post
                  Steve,

For anyone with the Ryobi One+ series of tools, the cordless powered garden sprayer works awesome for thinned or oil based finish spraying. I use it for exterior stain and (slightly thinned) spar urethane on the outdoor furniture I make. I just set the item up on a homemade lazy-susan-on-sawhorses and spray it while I turn it. Since it's powered, I don't have to stop to pump and can do an adirondack chair in short order.

Comment

The Rockler one is the same as the Harbor Freight one. But HF sells them for $30 less.
                    I got one 2 weeks ago and used it to spray some sealer stain. It works flawlessly and cleanup was easy.
                    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Follow-Up

I finally got a chance to try this thing out last weekend on a buffet table I was building, now completed (pics attached). It was pretty easy to get the hang of it, after practicing on the back of the cabinet and on scrap wood. Rockler's website has a number of useful tips in their review section. The Harbor Freight version included three nozzle sizes, whereas the Rockler version only seems to include two.

I sprayed Minwax semi-gloss poly, using the medium nozzle size, no thinning. I had ordered a separate spray can from Rockler, which makes cleanup between coats much easier.....just have the poly in one tank, paint thinner in the other.

I think I might use Polycrylic water-based poly next time....less noxious odor (I can probably spray in my basement shop, instead of clearing the cars out of the garage for a few days), clean up with soap and water. It's a pain dealing with paint thinner and fumes and stuff.

I see Rockler increased the price from 99 to 119, and HF from 69 to 79. I'm happy to have paid $69!

All around, a great investment that meets my needs very nicely. Thanks again for the recommendation! After using a brush for my previous projects, it's sure nice to have a near-perfectly smooth surface in just a few seconds of spraying.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by steveKane; 05-03-2008, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Seriously considering a HVLP. I have a 30 gal Husky compressor now. Would using just the HVLP gun give me the same results? If so any recommendations on a gun.

Comment

I have a 30 gal 13.5cfm @40psi compressor and use the Husky HDS790 HVLP gun with it. I have had no issues spraying water based and oil based products (have no need to spray latex paint - use Wagner Paint Crew for that). The gun is the same price as the entire system that Steve bought but is perhaps more durable

Comment

Originally posted by Robert58 View Post
                            Seriously considering a HVLP. I have a 30 gal Husky compressor now. Would using just the HVLP gun give me the same results? If so any recommendations on a gun.
                            I use the Husky 30 gal oil lube compressor with the HDS790 gun and it works perfectly. The compressor easily handles the gun even on very large projects.

Comment

Working...
                            X