TS3650 Outfeed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Outfeed

I bought my TS3650 two weeks ago, and have used it for ripping some 1"x6" to 1"x6" for making a chair. My next project is going to be closet shelving, and I want to rip sheets of plywood, and need to get adequate support. I'm curious what others use for outfeed support on a TS3650. The two good options seem to be buying a roller stand or building an outfeed table.

Sear's has what looks like a reasonable Roller stand for ~$60 that has three separate rows of ball bearings (I couldn't find it online, but you can find something similar at Rockler #69201). I like this compared to the one roller stand because it should provide more support as the piece is pushed through without having too use too many different stands and worry about hitting it dead on quite as much; but I think that an attached outfeed table would probably be much safer. I have two of the the single row ones right now, and plan on using those for infeed support.

I've seen good pictures of an outfeed table on this forum that attaches to the table with aluminum angle iron sandwiched between the wings and the table; but it might be simpler to get some premade hardware that attaches and detaches without getting under the saw. The Rockler hardware kit (#64056), seems like it would be a pretty good. Has anyone else tried it on a TS3650? I would use the hardware together with some MCP (probably 4'x4 or 4'x6') to build the table.

When Norm built his outfeed table, he had some angle iron attached to the back of the saw. What kind of local stores/suppliers are likely to have angle iron if I wanted to do something more from scratch; and how much should I expect to pay for it?

One final question, does anyone know if the AC9933 flip top supports still available at HD? The only thing I've seen is a regular roller stand (not even ball bearing).

Thanks,
    Charles

Re: TS3650 Outfeed

My local HD has a bunch of those flip top stands made by ridgid.
    I have noticed in some stores they are usually kinda hid in out of the way places. Ask two or three employees before you give up.

As for the rest of your questions................ I'm lost also.

Comment

Those AC9933 Flip Top Stands are so much better than any roller type stand that a comparison isn't even fair. As Larry86 stated, they can be a little hard to find in the store but they are there somewhere. I have a couple of them and for longer rips I use one as an outfeed support and the other as an infeed support.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

It appears that you have done some searching on this site. Try a search for "router extension on 3650". In that thread is my post for a flip up outfeed table and router table. Most of the pics are missing but I can PM them if you wish. (This flip up table allows for easy removal and replacement of the blade guard, very important to me). The text is long, but I was trying to give information on its construction.

You can also google for "saw outfeed table" and find other sources and ideas.

Ace Hardware is one source of steel and aluminum angle and flat stock. I think that HD and Lowes also carry some angle stock. It is not that expensive for steel. Both are easy to work with common tools, (hacksaw, files, drills, sanders and grinder)

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
          It appears that you have done some searching on this site. Try a search for "router extension on 3650". In that thread is my post for a flip up outfeed table and router table. Most of the pics are missing but I can PM them if you wish. (This flip up table allows for easy removal and replacement of the blade guard, very important to me). The text is long, but I was trying to give information on its construction.
          Thanks for this pointer, the pictures that are there are really helpful. I'm including a link so that the next person to search will be able to find it.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11380

It looks like your table is about 4', do you find that that provides you enough support for full size sheets?

It is also important for me to be able to add and remove the blade guard, so I will definitely take this type of construction into consideration.

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
          You can also google for "saw outfeed table" and find other sources and ideas.

Ace Hardware is one source of steel and aluminum angle and flat stock. I think that HD and Lowes also carry some angle stock. It is not that expensive for steel. Both are easy to work with common tools, (hacksaw, files, drills, sanders and grinder)
          I found the angle iron and also the Ridgid flip top support at my HD this morning. The flip top support is pretty reasonably priced ($30), but I would need two of them (one for each of the cut halves). I think I am going to spend just a tad more and do a full outfeed table (the MCP is $30, figure another $30 for various angle iron, and tad more for wood supports).

After seeing it work twice, I think I am more willing to put the angle between the extensions and the table, but I am still sort of leaning towards putting a 2" angle between the rail and the saw (less cutting, etc.) and a mating piece. When I get a chance, I'll have to measure it carefully to figure out what kind of clearances I'll need.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            Those AC9933 Flip Top Stands are so much better than any roller type stand that a comparison isn't even fair. As Larry86 stated, they can be a little hard to find in the store but they are there somewhere. I have a couple of them and for longer rips I use one as an outfeed support and the other as an infeed support.
            I totally agree with Dave here... If you don't have room or don't want to make a full size outfeed *table*, these flip stands are way better than roller stands. I've been hemming and hawing about buying a second one. I currently use a standard roller stand (with the fixed support engaged, instead of the roller) on the infeed side...

Unless you get a roller stand perfectly parallel to your feed path, once you hit the roller it can take it another direction. The flip stands also work great as sort of extended work supports (think sawhorse kind of idea). I use it to support one end when jigsawing sheet goods.

Comment

I know it's not a Rigid but I had the same rear fence obstacle. I like an outfeed better than roller supports because of only one point of contact the wood can fall and stuff. Here are pictures of my outfeed table.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi there CPW.

Because of the weight of full size sheets of plywood and MDF (no helper to assist with lifting), I cut these with a portable saw on a support frame I built for cutting them.

I make the cuts so that the pieces are slightly oversize.

I use "eemerson tools" clamping guides to get straight cuts. (On Rocklers site search for "All-In-One Clamp Guides")

Once they are in manageable sized pieces, I trim and true them up on the table saw.

My outfeed table has handled 8' long 1 bys with a good notched push stick to hold down the trailing edge of the board as it enters the blade area.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                  I totally agree with Dave here... If you don't have room or don't want to make a full size outfeed *table*, these flip stands are way better than roller stands. I've been hemming and hawing about buying a second one. I currently use a standard roller stand (with the fixed support engaged, instead of the roller) on the infeed side...
                  Both Rockler and Sears have ball bearing/roller/fixedcombo stands. At Sears they are $30, quite a bit more at Rockler. If you use the ball bearing it works pretty well for sheet goods. I used them today to cut a small 4'x4' and 6'x4' sheet down. Because there are about 8 different rollers that can roll in any direction you don't need to worry about your sheet goods getting pulled in different directions on you.

For thin stock, you can use a regular roller, because even if it isn't perfectly parallel you should be able to "muscle" it.

Of course neighter of these will help with things sagging; so you have to position them slightly below your table top surface.

Another question that I have is using the 36" rip capacity. I was ripping a 4'x4' sheet of 1/4" plywood down to 3'x'3, and started out trying to use the rip fence positioned at 36" to the right of the blade, but that didn't get very far, because the sheet would just sag under the fence and I was afraid that it would get caught up on the back rail. In this case it was pretty easy to just use 12" to the left of the blade, but if I wanted a 34" sheet that wouldnt' have worked out so well. Do thicker sheets sag less and not have this problem, or does everyone just build a table extension for between the rails?

Comment

Before adding a router table, I used an L shaped wooden guide clamped to the fence face. One side of the L was clamped and the other side, facing the blade, supported the stock being cut. Just make sure that you account for the thickness of the wood when setting the rip distance.

Comment

I made my extention based on the plan in Best Ever Workshop Solution 2006

Get the Wood Magazine Best Ever Workshop Solution 2006 (reprinted in 2008 due to popular demand). 7.95$ http://woodstore.net/bewoso.html or part of a trio for 12.95$ at http://woodstore.net/saonthgrmafu.html

It features 1 1/2 inch L iron bar attached to the wings (no drilling requested) because the wing is sandwiched between the L bars and a 1/8 inch flat bar on top (in 1/4 inch the ressessed space) of the wing.

The leg is removable and snaped in broom holder when not in use.
                      Leg length is adjustable (T-nut inserted in drilled dowel, a srew is used as the leg adjustment.
                      Used Wing-nut to lock height in place (my idea).
                      Dowel is driled sideway to lock when in use (my idea).

From the front of saw to the back of the extention table, it mesures 5 foot 3 inches.

I used birch plywood and covered both side with melamine using waterbased contact cement. Finished exposed plywood with Danish oil (equal parts of mineral spirit, urethane and linseed oil). I built it in a weekend.
                      Attached Files

Comment

You have disabled the one thing that makes the Rigid saw different from all the other contractor saws by blocking the clamp holes. I wondered how many people actually use these for that purpose. I like the Idea. It works well.

Comment

In almost a year that I have the saw, I never use the ho;es to clam any feather board. Not I ever did it with my previous 2 saws.

My feather boards fit in the mitre slot.

Also, because this plan use a metal plate on top and the L iron bar under, the wing is sandwished in between the 2. This mean I dont have to make any hole on the table­... That I like.

Comment

I felt like I needed to chime in pn the earlier discussion about the flip top outfeed supports. I've found that if you're ripping anything (such as plywood or mdf) that weighs more than moulding or smaller boards, the friction between the material and the flip top invariably causes the support to tip over (which is pretty scary when the back end of a full sheet of 3/4 mdf flies up and off of the spinning blade!). I have a pretty small workspace, so I built my assembly tables with total lock casters at same height as my tablesaw to double as outfeed surfaces.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Hi Walkingman,

I also own and use the Ridgid Fliptop and it is great when ripping less than 24 inches wide stuff. You are right about that friction factor. Wider pannel are heavier so friction will tip the Ridgid flip top over.

Sanding it to 200 grit also help when many marks are on it. Waxing the fliptop help.

For the table extention I added to my table, it is attached to the table using L beams. The leaf is fixed using a full length piano hinge.

Also an initial sanding of the melamine top (sanding once only when new) with a 200 grit then wax it help reduce the friction.

Comment

Working...
                              X