X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roundover bit size for edging lumber?

I'm going to be forced to rip some lumber to a smaller size for a project. I want to ease the edge so the ripping won't be noticed. Anyone know what size roundover I'll need for this? Haven't received the lumber, or my router (just bought it), yet. Trying to figure out whether or not to buy a couple of bits (1/16, 1/8), or get a set. Most of the sets I've found start with bits at 1/8...

Any ideas out there?

Re: Roundover bit size for edging lumber?

A chamfer bit will do what you are looking for just fine. I have seen both types of stock wood, one with more rounded edges than the other (which is more like a chamfer). I have done similar to what you appear to be doing, in that I ripped some lumber for a plank workbench and eased the edges with a chamfer bit. I could not really tell the difference.
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

1/8" is about the smallest roundover you'll *notice* and that actually ease the edge.

1/4" is great for some larger things, but can be overkill on other, smaller, projects.

I've personally never seen 1/16" RO, but would think that'd be so insignificant to be essentially worthless. IMO.

If you find a RO set, it's worth having 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2", at a minimum.

Comment

1/8 will be enough to just slightly round off the edge. 1/16 is so small you can get the same result from just quickly running some sandpaper along the edge.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking I'll go with a set. Probably won't use all of them, but I found a couple of sets right at $30. I'll be working with a hardwood, so I'm going with 1/2" shanks.

Now, Holbren or Woodcraft AKB?

Holbren set: http://www.holbren.com/product.php?p...&cat=28&page=1

Woodcraft set: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20353

Comment

If I understand you correctly. I have done something like that in deck building. When I have to rip a board slightly I plan it not to be the end board so it blends in with the decking. Then I relieve the edge with a orbital sander, it only take a minute to do with 80 grit paper.

Comment

I have a 1/4, 3/8, & 1/2 set and find I use all, but the 3/8 seems to get the most use.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
              X