Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado Blades

Hey,
    I was thinking of of buying a Ts3650 saw and would like to use it to cut dado's 13/16 wide and smaller. Is this saw capable of doing so with a normal stacked dado blade without the adjustable outer blade? Does the adjustable outer blade on the Freud SD608 make it to wide to fit on this saw? or is the saw only capable of cutting 9/16 wide dado's with every or any dado blade?

I have posted this before but only got 2 responses. Both where different. I'm hoping to get more info before i purchase this saw. Also if you can use a conventional stacked dado blade on this saw to make 13/16" dado's, Wich do you recommend.

Thank you for any advice you can give me on the subject.

I'm not sure what your asking. The only thing that would limit the width of the dado cut would be the insert and what ever the blade is capable of. Achieving 13/16" should be no problem.

Comment

Gary,
      The Length of the arbor on the ts3650 tablesaw is only 1 1/8" long and some people have complained that they can't use an adjustable dado set on it because it's not long enough. I wanted to know if the arbor is long enough to accomodate a conventional 13/16" stacked dado with all it chippers in.
      Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

I have a 3612 which from what I have read the arbors are the same. I can cut 13/16 dadoes with a stacked set just fine.
        I have read you can't use the new Freud 608 which has an adjustable hub. As far as I know that is the only adjustable that has a problem on the saw.

Comment

I have the 3612 and that shaft is also 1 1/8". I recently made some 3/4" dados using a Freud stackable blade with no problems. I haven't tried the 13/16".

Comment

See my answer under "Tips and Techniques" where you posted this same question yesterday.
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Gary, Matt, Lorax,
              Thanks for the replies, Very helpfull. I think i'm going to buy the saw this week.
              I'm also going to buy a dado blade. Do you think i should shell out the extra money for a well known brand, or is it better to chose one based on how many teeth.
              Thanks again,
              OJ

Comment

Hi oj,
                Right now I'm using a sears stacked set. It's not carbide and wasn't very expensive. I am looking to buy a Freud SD508 set. It is carbide and uses shims to get exact widths.

If you know your going to use dados often then get a good carbide set. If your a new woodworker you may find that you like to make dados with your router instead of your saw.

I personally like to use my saw for everything I can reasonably use it for.

Good luck
                Matt

Comment

Matt,
                  That's a nice dado set your buying. I'm looking to spend about half the money that you are. If i buy a freud 8" dado the only one i can afford has 12 teeth on the outside blades and 2 teeth on the chippers. For the same price i can get a 8" carbide tip dado set made by a company called avenger with 42 teeth on the outside blades and 6 teeth on the chippers. Do you think it is worth the money to get a name like freud, or is the avenger just as good.
                  O.J.

Comment

Hi Oj,

I have seen the blade your talking about and it looks pretty good. As far as the outside teeth number I can see how more teeth should help with the quality of a dado but when your grooving something I think you need more of a rip type blade (30 or less teeth).
                    As a note to anyone who doesn't know a dado is across the grain where as a groove is with the grain I know some are new woodworkers here.
                    I do like the chippers having more teeth. My set now only has two teeth per chipper.

I was looking a Freud because I recently purchased two of their blades. One for my table saw (Glue line rip) and one for my scms (scms blade) and have been thoughly impressed. I have a 3612 and it has always cut good but now it's great and my scms is a cheap Harbor freight model but it cuts very good.

I don't think you would go wrong in buying the Avenger set.

Good luck

Comment

Matt, where did you hear the Freud SD608 wouldn't work with the Ridgid line?
                      murph

Comment

I don't think that it's not that it won't work with the Ridgid line, it's that because of the arbor length on the Ridgid you're limited in the width of the dados that you can cut.
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

That's what I heard Dave. You can't cut the full width of the blade because of the arbor.

Comment

Murph,
                            I heard the same thing about the Freud SD608 not working on the Ridgid TS3650 saw because the arbor is to short. It has something to do with the width of the adjustable hub on that set. I saw it in a post titled "TS3650 and Dado" in the woodworking tips and tecniques section of the forum.

Thanks to everyone for the info. I Just bought the TS3650 table saw and i am very happy with it so far.

Comment

Working...
                            X