X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Stabilizers

are they really necessary? Is there any real improvement in cut quality?

Re: Blade Stabilizers

Necessary, no....Improved cut quality, sometimes. With a full-kerf blade (rip, combination, etc) you may not see much difference. Using a thin-kerf blade, especially with thicker stock, is when it will be most noticed. I have them and use them, others say it's not worth bothering.

Comment

[quote....others say it's not worth bothering.[/quote]

I agree with that. That being said, I only have one 10" thin kerf blade in my collection but have never experienced any problems using it without a stabilizer.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The stabilizers are particularly beneficial to the person who sells it to you.

I've never noticed an improvement from a stabilizer. With a decent blade, even a TK, there should be no need for one unless there's an existing problem with runout and/or vibration.

Comment

It's like a guy at Forrest said when I called to ask if I needed a stabilizer with my new WW II blade:

Him: Do you have blade vibration?
          Me: No
          Him: Then why do you think you would need a stabilizer?
          Me: Uh, bye, thanks for your time.
          Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Many years ago I had bought a Craftsman radial arm saw along with stabilizers. I still have the stabilizers but I believe that the power tools and blades of today are far superior. If I put a new blade on and it vibrated, I would return it.
            Jim
            Jim

Comment

They are not designed (nor claimed) to stop vibration of a free-spinning blade. If you have one that vibrates while it is not cutting, you have a different issue. It could be a bent arbor, bent blade, poorly balanced blade, etc. The stabilizers are supposed to help stiffen the plate of the blade and keep it from flexing during the cut.
              I was under the impression that Forrest recommended them except in cases where they would limit cutting depth.

Comment

A blade stabilizer may help the cut on a cheap saw or with a poor blade. If you have the Ridgid 2400/ 3650 or equivalent, all it will do is limit your cut depth. IMHO, spend the money on a better blade and a ZCI. If the blade is getting out of true, the ZCI will show it readily.

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                X