X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to hand join wood

hello everybody i am new to this great forum.i have a question i want to join to pieces of 3/16 thick boards together i dont have a jionter or any other kinds of power tools how can i make both edges of wood straight,and flat so not one bit of light shows thru the two boards when joined and held up to the light.i have planes and chisels and saws .thanks for your time
    Last edited by jargenlink; 03-06-2008, 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling error

Re: how to hand join wood

I've seen a couple people clamp a flat piece of wood perpendicular to the sole of the plane with some small C-Clamps, to kind of give them a 90 degree guide to work with. I've never tried it myself, but it might be somewhat helpful. Make sure your plane blade is sharp across the whole blade, not just the middle. You can also use your fingers as a guide, gripping the forward hand tightly on the lip of the sole.

HTH,
    Jalon

Comment

If I understand you correctly, your wood is 3/16 inch thick. If so, I would suggest clamping your plane and a piece of wood together in a vise so that the sole plate of your plane and the piece of wood form a 90 degree corner and pushing your wood through it. Kind of like a jointer only no power. It will be almost impossible to hold a plane flat on a 3/ 16 in. piece otherwise.

Comment

I don't have room for a jointer in my garage, so I've used a jack plane and low angle block plane. I agree, 3/16" is narrow and would be tough to control alone. Clamping a sacrificial board to the edges will make it easier. After a few passes, I usually check my progress with a small square. I use my finger as a guide for the jack plane, and free hand the block plane. Take your time. It works great.

Comment

You can also butt them up against eachother, lay a long straightedge in place so the cut line is right up the middle of your adjoining edges. Run either a router with a straight bit or your circular saw along the straight edge.

You might not get a perfectly *straight* edge, but the differences in each board will "cancel" eachother out and you'll get a nice tight glue edge.

Comment

Actually Wood_Junkie's suggestion is demontrated in this "clip" from The Router Workshop feature currently showing on the web's The Woodworking Channel:

http://www2.multicastmedia.com/Custo...elRelaunch.htm

The tab for The Router Workshop is located across the top of the right columne... you may have to scroll to the right to see the correct tap. The episode is "Construction Tricks of the Trade" and that particular tip is in the last half of the episode as I recall.

BTW, the Woodworkiing Channel site (www.thewoodworkingchannel.com) is being revamped. What's up there now looks pretty good, although limited to a dozen or so episodes.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
              Actually Wood_Junkie's suggestion is demontrated in this "clip" from The Router Workshop feature currently showing on the web's The Woodworking Channel:

http://www2.multicastmedia.com/Custo...elRelaunch.htm

The tab for The Router Workshop is located across the top of the right columne... you may have to scroll to the right to see the correct tap. The episode is "Construction Tricks of the Trade" and that particular tip is in the last half of the episode as I recall.

BTW, the Woodworkiing Channel site (www.thewoodworkingchannel.com) is being revamped. What's up there now looks pretty good, although limited to a dozen or so episodes.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Thanks for that link! Lots of good stuff.

Comment

Wood_Junkie,

Hey if you liked that, you'll love these:

www.thewoodwhisperer.com

www.woodmagazine.com

With Wood Magazine, the videos are a little harder to find, but there's some excellent stuff there.

Marc, The Wood Whisperer is really terrific. He's produced a terrific number of episodes and I suggest you view the first two or three in the archive, as they're pretty informative about his objectives and if for no other reason, they're quite entertaining. Great site.

Enjoy,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  Wood_Junkie,

Hey if you liked that, you'll love these:

www.thewoodwhisperer.com

www.woodmagazine.com

With Wood Magazine, the videos are a little harder to find, but there's some excellent stuff there.

Marc, The Wood Whisperer is really terrific. He's produced a terrific number of episodes and I suggest you view the first two or three in the archive, as they're pretty informative about his objectives and if for no other reason, they're quite entertaining. Great site.

Enjoy,

CWS
                  CWS,

Awesome sites. Thanks for posting. You should put those up on jobsitelinks.com.

Comment

You can also make a "shooting board". It is basically a guide for jointing an edge or end square and flat. Another version is used to trim up miters for a perfect fit. Try a google search for it.

Go
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                    X