Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face gluing boards

Hello all,

I am going to try making a small nightstand. I will be using sycamore. To make the legs, I will need to glue up two pieces to get to the thickness that I need.

My question is this:

Can I just rip a board, plane it, and then faceglue the two pieces in the same orientation that they were in on the original board, or should I flip one side end to end, upsidedown or whatever to help make it less prone to twist ? They will be 25" finished length.

Thanks -

Doug

Re: Face gluing boards

Originally posted by douggage View Post
    Hello all,

I am going to try making a small nightstand. I will be using sycamore. To make the legs, I will need to glue up two pieces to get to the thickness that I need.

My question is this:

Can I just rip a board, plane it, and then faceglue the two pieces in the same orientation that they were in on the original board, or should I flip one side end to end, upsidedown or whatever to help make it less prone to twist ? They will be 25" finished length.

Thanks -

Doug
    I would say the biggest concern is orientating the boards so their best planing direction is the same way. If the wood is stable to start with, pieces that short shouldn't move a whole lot anyway.

FSK

Comment

Re: Face gluing boards

Thanks !

Comment

Working...
      X