X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscillating Edge Belt/Sander EB4424

i just bought the last one at three local Home Depot's. They have this on a clearance price. Does anyone know what's up? Is Ridgid coming out with a new model or is Home Depot dropping this unit?

If the sanders base is gray, it is pre OWT's manufacturing rights model. If the base is orange, it's the new one manufactured by OWT. It's basically the same design. I'm sure the motor is a China made instead of a Emerson like the gray.

Very usefull in most projects, especially with pieces with lots of curves. Like the Rocking Horse I'm making for my son.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

John,
      You appear to be knowledgable regarding the EB4424, perhaps you can help me out. I have been looking at the EB4424 for several years but just did not get around to buying one. Now that I want one, I cannot find it. Two different Home Depot stores did not have them and both refused to order one for me. I then emailed Ridgid Customer Service on their web site and asked them if they were still making them and where could I find one. That was about 2 weeks ago and have not heard a thing from them. This surprises me as Ridgid has always been forthcoming in the past. Your post leads me to believe they are still making them, but Home Depot's refusal to order one makes me wonder? Can you, or anyone, shed any more lite on this issue? I would like to buy one. Thanks.

"Cracker" (Stupid name but it seems you guys have used up all my names and this one finally worked to register.)

Comment

Cracker,

This is what they are making now..

It is taking some time for all the items to reach every location. They may have sold out over the holiday 20% off sale and new stock has not arrived yet. You might consult the store manager and not just an associate working the floor on having one ordered, or brought in from another location.
        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I just bought this sander a week ago. Took forever to find one. Keep getting the runaround on when and where they would be in. It is the new model w/orange base. I'm told that this is a hot item, with waiting lists a local stores. After using it I can see why, best tool I could have added to the shop!!! The design is great. I'll now be retiring a few other sanding methods.

Greg

Comment

John, Greg,
            Thank you for your replies. I'm just getting my shop put together as I just retired and moved a couple of months back so I don't need it right away. Based upon your feedback, I guess I'll keep looking for this particular sander. I should have bought it two years ago. Is the new one as good as the old one, and what is the "OWT" that I see being used in the some of the posts? Thanks again.

Cracker

Comment

You need to be patient on some of these restocks. Endless phone calls have led me to piecing together that items made off shore can not be restocked at will. There has to be a full container to be shipped from off shore and a ship that doesn't spend extra time partying at inbetween stops. Large companies can't afford to stock inventories in hopes of future sales. So we sit and watch our would absorb moisture..
              OWT is One World Technologies, the people that now manufacture the Ridgid woodworking tools. The edge/belt sander is worth waiting for.

[ 02-08-2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Woodndust ]

Comment

If you want to read about the partnership between OWT and Ridgid ....
                http://www.ridgid.com/newsite/news/RidgidBrandRel.pdf

Comment

OK, thanks again for all of your replies. I live about an hour and a half from the nearest Home Depot as I live on the central Oregon coast. The next time I'm in there I'll contact the store manager as suggested and see if I can get on some sort of call list. In the meantime, I'll just finish wiring my shop. I appreciate the information you have supplied.

Cracker

Comment

Cracker,
                    I have not looked around Home Depot's "Shop Online" lately. But I have purchased from them before with the nearest HD store just 30 minutes away. Sometimes, you can purchase the same item cheaper online, and catch them at the right times get free shipping, or minimul shipping charges. It's worth a look.

The Online Order is seperated from the show room stores stock. They may even have the older grey units at a reduced price to make it even more worth the while. Like I said, haven't looked lately, but might be worth it to look into it.

Comment

Cracker,
                      I know that 2 of the 3 HD's in my area still have the grey models, at least the floor model. Here are the phone #'s (936) 321-0100,I believe the hardware manager at this store is Ron, the second number to try is (281) 288-4900, I wouldn't expect too much from this store though, they have a floor model (grey) jointer that has been reconditioned and sitting in the same place for who knows how long for $10 bucks less than the original price, go figure. This is the number of the third store (936) 539-2440, I'm not in this store as much as the first one I listed, but last time they still had quite a few grey tools,planer,jointer,drill press and I think sander. Maybe with a credit card number they will ship you one, if you want to give it a try.

Comment

Woody,
                        Sometimes I simply go brain dead. I don't know why I did not think about looking at e Home Depot on-line store. I'll do that right now. Thank you for waking me up.

JJC,
                        I have a son living in San Antonio and I will ask him to take a look at his Home Depot. It did not occur to me to ask him until I saw your reply. If they don't have one, and I can't find one on-line, I'll call the store in Houston. Thank you.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

Cracker

Comment

I live in San Antonio and several of the stores still have them, even the old gray ones, in stock.

Comment

Working...
                          X