X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mullion question

Any body here ever make their own window mullions?

I'm building a cabinet and like the looks of those mullions,
    but it looks like it would be delicate work.

Is it hard to cut and route pieces that small?
    What about getting them lined up so they are parallel with each other?
    And how do they attach to the stiles and rails?

The cabinet I'm building will have two doors, side by side, and made out of red oak.

Re: Mullion question

Are you really asking about mullions? Or do you mean muntins? Mullion is the divider between two windows, muntins are the dividers that make one sash (window) into small panes. (or at least look like they are small panes)

Comment

Hmm....... I just assumed they were called mullions.
      The one I am taking about is what just makes it look like the glass is divided into squares.

I hope this link works.....http://pricecutter.com/p18-3623/p/P18-3623/

Comment

The link worked fine. The pic shows how they are put together at intersections. When I have made them, I put them together as rectangular pieces and then rout whatever design I want (cove, ogee, etc.) after they are assembled. Makes for much easier fabrication.

Comment

Thanks Pipestone!!

So I assume that you didn't make your's on a router table, but cut the wood to size and then used a router by hand to get them to look like the ones in the link?

Also, how are they attached to each other at the intersection, glue or small nails?

Comment

Larry, I basically build a frame with as many vertical and horizontal bars in it as i want. I glue the joints together, and when set, I use a router with a block fastened to it to steady it and rout the ogee (or whatever) in each square. ( block fastened to the underside of the base)

Comment

A half/lap joint is probably the easiest and best to use (i.e. opposing dadoes in each cross piece at the intersections), especially if you are going to assemble first and rout the profile second.
              If you profile the strips first, you will have to relieve each cross joint with 45 degree angles to the extent of the profile (depth and width) This is difficult at best and requires very exacting work, but results in a square corner on the profile at each intersection and the appearance of actual separately installed panes of glass. The cross dadoes for the lap joints will only be the width of the flat part of the munten, mullion, munnion (whatever its called), so won't fit together until the 45 degree reliefs are removed.
              The third option that would also give the close scrutiny appearance of actual separate panes of glass, would be to half-lap joint narrow square pieces, and then edge glue the quarter round (or ogee) molding to the edges, mitering each piece of molding. Altho this involves more pieces, it may be easier than option 2.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks guys!
                I'm going to try making them.......close your ears, there probably will be lots of cussing.

Comment

Larry,

You ask about routing a piece that small, What I do is cut the profile's on a boards edge and then take it to the table saw and rip it off. Makes is pretty easy.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                  X