No announcement yet.

rabbet joint vs finger joint

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rabbet joint vs finger joint

Recently my box supplier went out of business and I am currently looking for a supplier to manufacture my boxes, with that said I am not soliciting anything I just have a question on durabiltiy and strength on the 2 different joints. What are the pro/cons of each joint. Can anyone help me out?

Re: rabbet joint vs finger joint

In the Nov 2006 issue of Wood Magazine they did a test of the most common joint methods. Finger joints rated the highest out of their type. I beleive they tested for shear and pull-apart forces.
    Hope this helps.

You've got significantly more surface area on a finger joint than you do on a butt joint.

Wihout knowing the purpose of the boxes (i.e strength needed, appearance, etc) and the material being used it is hard to evaluate:
        1. For solid wood boxes or plywood using glue as the sole adhesive, the finger joint will be the strongest and most attractive if done to close tolerance. If close tolerance is not used, it will lose any advantage.
        2. Using MDF or particle board, there is probably not a lot of difference.
        3. If using glue and screws/ridged nails. the rabbet joint will probably equal the finger joint in strength for wood or ply.

From a process economical standpoint, the rabbet joint, even with fasteners, will probably be the most economical, as it is a straight forward process not requiring the repetitions, closer tolerance, and possibly special cutters needed for mass producing the finger joint.

Practicing at practical wood working