X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dust cleaner for small hobby room?

i'm looking for suggestions for a small hobby room. probably 12x12x8.

i was looking at that ridgid portable air cleaner but the review on hd's site doesn't look promising.

i'll have my ridgid shop vac on my ts3650 and other tools but would like something that will purify the air on occasion.

i'm also looking to buy ridgid's iso/belt sander soon too.

Re: dust cleaner for small hobby room?

For a room that size any of the air filtration systems out there would work. Look at the offerings from Jet, Penn State or Delta and pick the one that fits your wallet the best.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      For a room that size any of the air filtration systems out there would work. Look at the offerings from Jet, Penn State or Delta and pick the one that fits your wallet the best.
      ahhhhhhhh, thanks for leading this blind man once again Dave...

for starters, i found a JET AFS-1000B for $229 at woodcraft and same price with shipping at amazon. Not bad.

ok then, for $250 or under, does anyone else have other recommendations? I'll spend a lil more time later to look around after work...

Comment

Also, on the Ridgid vacs, you can change the filter for one that is HEPA compliant. These wilter smaller particle so it does not spread them in the shop as you vac the room or us it as a dust collector. Available at Home Depot.

I heard some people that use a 24 x 24 inches home fan and put a furnace filter on the intake side. You can tape the filter, and if it suit your need, make a frame that has a 1/2 inch lip on the sides of the fan (bottom, left and right) to hold the furnace frame. slip the filter from toop (this is why the fram is only 3 sides).

Comment

Busybeetools have one air filter unit on sale for 208$ CAN
          It filters out 98% of dust 1 micron or larger.
          The direct drive blower has a 1/6th" HP motor and delivers 510 CFM to operate quietly and efficiently and filters are easily cleaned and replaced.
          It is recommended that shop air be filtered 6 times per hour minimum.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...9&NTITEM=B2055

You can set the duration and the speed of the unit.
          with this optional remote controler.
          http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...&NTITEM=B2259R

Comment

Deuce, I have that Jet unit in my shop and it works great. I highly recommend it.

Before I had mine I used to always have a layer of fine dust all over everything in the shop. Ever since I installed the AFS-1000B that problem doesn't exist any longer. One little hint, set the timer to run an extra couple of hours after you're done working for the day if you've done a lot of sawing or sanding. It really does help to keep the dust particles that a still floating around from settling all over everything.

Comment

Basic box fan filter.
              shure it is not a Real filter but it helps:
              http://www.shopnotesspecials.com/120...f/shop-fan.pdf

Comment

How quiet is the JET AFS-1000? To run the cleaner after working, noise is a consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by tchads View Post
                  How quiet is the JET AFS-1000? To run the cleaner after working, noise is a consideration.
                  On the lowest fan speed it's very quiet. As you increase the fan speed it obviously get louder. When I use mine I usually run it on the middle speed setting while I'm working in the shop and then set it on the low setting for 2 hours when I'm finished working.

Comment

If you have dedicated a room to your hobby you obviously enjoy it and spend many hours there. ... accurately and compare it to the specifications of the air cleaner. ... vapors and dust that linger in the air during and after a project,or maybe try search in some site that are related in your topic...

Comment

The Jet afs1000 sound decibles,is 60 on HI,53 on Medium, and 50 on Low.
                      Had one for 8 yrs,works great.

Comment

I looked long and hard at the JET AFS1000, but at the end of the tale it was slightly too large for the space I had to install it (overall dimensions).

I happened to trip over a webpage with the AFS-400, which I hadn't found via normal searching.

It's smaller by a few inches all around, has the same interface and options as the AFS-1000, but simply moves less air per minute/hour, and costs less.

Happens to be on sale right now ($179):
                        http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=63646
                        and I think I saw free shipping on anything JET via Woodcraft.

Here's a good review from Tom Hintz:
                        http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...0dc500rvu.html

The AFS-400 was a VAST upgrade from the Ridigd portable air cleaner which I (quote/unquote) used in my workshop for a while. It really didn't help much, but that was largely a matter of positioning (it was under my left table saw wing). It was too large to ceiling mount, for my space.

Comment

Working...
                        X