X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with my new Router.

After seeing what could be done with a router, I've always wanted one and just go the Hitachi. Now I need some help.

I know nothing about how to use this router or what I should look for, in terms of possible problems, with my new router, so I need some help.

Does anyone that knows routers live around me? I'm in Cecil Co, MD and would like to bring my router over so someone can show me the ins and outs.

Thanks,

- Dae

Re: Need help with my new Router.

I got the help that I needed. Thanks all.

Comment

Wouldn't hurt to buy a good router book, or check your library. You might get some additional ideas.

Comment

There are many videos on the internet that you could watch.
        Here is a link to a real good router forum that could be of use.
        http://www.routerforums.com/

That great you have someone in your area to help you out.
        Anything that I have learned and ..."still learning for that matter".. about a router was mostly by trial and error, about 30 years worth.

Comment

[quote=Dae;126532]"I know nothing about how to use this router or what I should look for, in terms of possible problems, with my new router, so I need some help"

Well my friend, I too was in the same position that you are in now...not too long ago...and let me tell'ya somethin' that nobody was kind enough to tell me when I started...

KEEP YOUR FINGERS CLEAR OF THE LITTLE TWIRLY THING IN THE CENTER OF IT WHILE THE THING IS ON!!!

The mere fact that I am having my daughter type this message for me...is reason enough!

READ THE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOU EVEN LOOK INTO THE "HOW TO" SECTION!!!
          (Lookin' through a family photo album with a friend)

"....yeah...so...there's my mom, and next to her is my baby brother Jason...and the guy right there holding Jason...yeah...him...the one with only one hand is my uncle Tony "Tablesaw" Thomas.....guess why we call him "Tablesaw"....

Comment

Originally posted by C3DesignBuild View Post
            Well my friend, I too was in the same position that you are in now...not too long ago...and let me tell'ya somethin' that nobody was kind enough to tell me when I started...

KEEP YOUR FINGERS CLEAR OF THE LITTLE TWIRLY THING IN THE CENTER OF IT WHILE THE THING IS ON!!!

The mere fact that I am having my daughter type this message for me...is reason enough!

READ THE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOU EVEN LOOK INTO THE "HOW TO" SECTION!!!
            That is ALWAYS good advice! Never, EVER change the bit with the router plugged in. EVER. I know it's a pain to unplug and then have to plug back in. It's faaaaaaaar more painful to lose fingers.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Just like you I was looking recently for a router so I made and exhaustive search thru all the major brands and read more than 200 reviews and came to the conclusion that the Milwaukee 5616-24 router combo is a very good choice to make. I ordered it recently from Dinamite tools and it arrived today. They had an offer with it that included a free Milwaukee palm sander so overall it was very good buy.This kit comes with the two bases(plunger plus fixed),case,2 wrenches, 1/2 and 1/4 collets. 2 clear covers,dust attachment and a tool for adjusting the height from above the router table.The case is huge and have space for additional bits and accesories. Upon opening the box the router looked rock solid and even though its not a small size ,it is smaller than the Ridgid and more balanced. It feels a lot lighter than it looks. To change the bases its very easy and fast and its very ergonomic . The plunger action is solid and constant.I could easily turn it on with my hands on the grips but I have big hands so I wouldnt know for someone with smaller hands.I turned it on and ran it thru all the speeds(without bits) and it feels very strong on the high settings. Ill try to post some photos later but right now I just need a good router bit set .Im going to get some bits tomorrow at HD. If any of you have a suggestion on bits let me know. You should buy some books and magazines about router operation and get into youtube and check some videos as I did. I have worked with routers before(about 20 years ago), so they werent as good or had as many features as now so I had to make a refresher course on them and I am still learning.Woodsmith Magazine just published a special issue just for routers and its a very good starting point plus they give you a code on the magazine to enter their site and get over 100 bonus router tips. The best price for this router I found was in International tool(200.00) but they didnt had it on stock when I ordered . They should have it by now. The other place was mytoolplace.com (219.00) ,but it was funny that they will sell it on that price online and when I offered to go to the store to pick it up they told me that the price in the store was 283.00 plus taxes----- I never understood why they would charge that more for me eviting them the problem of shipping but they just lost a good customer.Finally I saw the Dynamite tool offer and got sold on it. My second choice in router was the Bosh 1617 but read some negatives reviews about details that kept me from it. Also I have more local Milwaukee repair shops than Bosh and the 5 year warranty on Milwaukee should tell me something about workmanship. Porter Cable had the most negative reviews of these 3 and Dewalt seemed weak. If the Dewalt drills are any indication of the thoughness of their tools I dont want to buy any other Dewalt tool.And finally I checked the Ridgid at my local HD. I found it heavy and too tall with the plunger base . Also read some reviews here that the Ridgid service center told someone that it was not designed to work on a router table ,so I walked away from it. HD doesnt make it any easier when they put a chain to the display so small that it wont allow you any manouver to let you get the real feel of the tool. If they dont want me to throughly feel or test a tool then why should I want to buy it? Anyway I hope all this info helps and good luck with your final choice. The best router for you its the one that make YOU happy regardless of what other think so happy hunting.

Comment

Working...
              X