What Grade Of Steel Wool?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Grade Of Steel Wool?

What Grade of steel wool should I be using to remove the rust from the TS-3650? I purchased some T9 yesterday, but this in-and-of-itself will not remove all the rust. There are only a very few spots here and there, but I want to nail it now before it further accumulates.

Thank you. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just my opinion...I would use an abrasive pad like a pot scrubber instead of steel wool. Steel wool often causes more problems than it solves. If the rust is pervasive, fine wet/dry sandpaper and WD40 is a good option too. Since the tables are cast iron, they are prone to rust but you can control it without a lot of effort. I live in FL and my saw is in the garage in all that humidity (the clothes dryer vents into the garage as well) so I have developed some habits to control and prevent rust. Here are some suggestions. Whenever you remove rust, always clean the table with a good degreaser before applying rust inhibitors or paste wax. If you don't, the film left by the deruster won't let the sealer do its job. After derusting and cleaning, inspect the table top for smoothness. Often, the milling operation that created the table top leaves a slight pattern of imperfections in the metal surface. These are actually low spots that capture and hold moisture. If your table isn't smooth, go over it with a palm sander and some fine wet/dry. Then clean and protect as noted above. Lots of guys use paste wax to coat the table. While that works fine, I prefer a product called Tri-Flow which is actually a spray-on teflon. I also use it on my fence rails as well to make the fence movement silky smooth. Lastly, never use compressed air to blow sawdust off the table top. Compressed air is loaded with water vapor. The table top is usually cooler than the compressed air so the water condenses on the table top. The droplets are microscopic so you never see the water but you'll definitely see the rust. Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks for the very detailed reply, much appreciated for the time spent! Currently there is very little rust - a few spots here and there - but I want to nail it now before it gets out of hand.

Thanks again!

Comment

Outrage

That is an interesting theory you bring up concerning compressed air, I often use compressed air on by tools and had never given the moisture content any thought. I have never heard of Tri-Flow, does it offer any protection (rust prevention) or is it just a friction reducer?

Thanks

Woodslayer

Comment

"I would use an abrasive pad like a pot scrubber instead of steel wool. "

3M makes versions of their ScotchBrite pads w/o any cleaner or soap in them that are better suited for this. they come in a various grades, from course to ultra-fine. The pads are much larger than kitchen pads too, about 6 x 9 x 3/8". you can buy them by the box (about 24/box I think). Don't know if you will find them HD or Lowes but an industrial supply house, Grainger, etc should have them.

4/12/04
          Did a little searching and found these descriptions of 3M's Scotch-Brite pads;

Selection

Scotch-Brite™ Aircraft Cleaning Pad 33
          This product is ideal for cleaning painted surfaces. The coated side enhances the friction to loosen dirt and debris, but does not scratch coating or alter the gloss level. This product may be used in conjunction with a variety of cleaners and applicators. Color: white/tan

Scotch-Brite™ Blending Hand Pad 7446
          Specially designed for blending and finishing particularly on stainless steel. Medium grade silicon carbide mineral blends surface scratches on many metals, wood and synthetic surfaces. Aggressive blending action for a superior graining and finishing.

Scotch-Brite™ Extra Duty Hand Pad 6444
          This thick, dense hand pad is less conformable and coarser than the other hand pads. The open construction discourages loading and continually presents fresh mineral to the work surface.

Scotch-Brite™ General Purpose Pad 7447
          This product has long been the standard for surface conditioning by hand. Clean, blend, finish, and deburr faster and with better results than conventional abrasives. It is mid-range for aggressiveness and finish in the Scotch-Brite™ hand pads line.

Scotch-Brite™ Heavy Duty Hand Pad 7440
          A very dense, durable and aggressive hand pad for quick cleaning and finishing. Cuts fast to remove contaminants and oxides in the most demanding applications. Recommended for weld cleaning, rust removal, finishing of stainless steel, and light deburring.

Scotch-Brite™ Light Duty Cleansing Pad 7445
          Very light duty pad with very mild abrasive, this pad is used to deflash wax molds and is commonly used with liquid detergents for gentle but thorough cleaning of porcelain, stainless steel, chrome, painted surfaces, glass and other substrates.

Scotch-Brite™ Light Duty Hand Pad 6448
          This pad is more aggressive and somewhat sturdier and yet gives you an ultra-fine and bright finish. It's ideal for removing light contaminants, maintenance and repair operations to prepare surfaces for paints, sealers or other coatings.

Scotch-Brite™ Production Hand Pad 8447
          Delivers up to 50% longer life over conventional maroon hand pads. Higher cut and better finish on aluminum, stainless steel, plastics, wood and fiberglass. Ideal for paint prep, surface blending and scuffing. Perforated pad tears into two 4 1/2"x6" pads.

Scotch-Brite™ Scrubbing Sponge 74
          This laminated product has a Scotch-Brite™ general purpose cleaning pad on one side for scouring and cleaning and an absorbent cellulose sponge on the other side for wiping or carrying cleaning solution to the work surface.

Scotch-Brite™ Ultra Fine Hand Pad 7448
          Use this pad when high conformability and an ultra-fine finish on metals, woods, plastics, composites and solid surface counter tops is required. It's just right for cosmetic cleaning or for creating consistent finishes on flat or contoured work pieces.

Scotch-Brite™ Ultra Heavy Duty Hand Pad 5440
          This pad is for extremely heavy duty applications. Constructed with an open stiff web and heavy mineral. Very durable and aggressive for heavy cleaning or graining needs.

[ 04-12-2004, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: Bob D. ]

Comment

Geeze Bob, thanks for looking all that up!

- George

Comment

Woodslayer, Sorry for the delayed response. Been away. TriFlow is both a protectorant and a lubricant. I think it's great stuff but it's really hard to find. I get it from a local specialty tool store. It's commonly used in the sports world. Here is a site with some info:
              http://www.trisports.com/trifsupluboz2.html

Comment

Working...
              X