Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Draw & the TS3650

Hi All,

I was hoping to get some help with a question on the TS3650. I am interested in purchasing the saw (since it dropped $100 at HD). I have read over the reviews, but the one concern I have is wheter or not my garage power can handle the table saw current draw. It is a 15 amp breaker and #14 wiring, that along with being a rental property doesn't give me many options with changing the circuit.

Has anyone been able to run there TS3650 on a 120v, 15amp circuit?

Have you had any problems doing this.

I wouldn't have as big of a problem with this if I wouldn't also be running lighting/mini-shopvac and a radio from the same outlet.

Thanks.

Re: Current Draw from TS3650

You'll really be pushing to the limit if not over it. Expect tripped circuit breaker or blown fuse and especially when starting up the table saw. More than likely there's quite a run of the #14 wire and that means you'll have a Voltage drop problem too. If you plan to stay where you are, discuss with the property owner(s) about running a new and heavier line to the garage and installing a small sub-panel in the garage. It will add value to their property if they rent it to someone else later or ever want to sell.

For now depending on distance you might invest in a 50 or 100 foot 10-3 super extension cord and have a private circuit run to a 20 Amp 120 Volt receptacle installed on an outside wall where you can plug in the extension cord going to the garage when you need to run the table saw. Another option would be a portable generator in the 2500 Watt range and run it only when needed. (Generator only to power table saw and needs to be heavy USA built model and 120 Volts only. The junker imports would not work.) It would be nice for standy-by (limited) power during any long power failures and you won't need to get into having any serious electrical work done on a rental property.

This brings back memories of my house and when I wanted to run an air compressor in my garage. It was a no way until a new line was run from the breaker panel in the basement. I ended up for a few weeks using a portable generator to power it. I was lucky that I already had the generator. You might look into one with the idea of selling it if you ever move out, or selling it to the property owner if they want it.

You have options but attempting to startup and run a 1-1/2 HP induction motor on a 15 Amp 120 Volt circuit with other loads and a long run of #14 wire isn't one of the options which will work for you.

People can say what they want but that table saw and any other contractor type table saw with a 1 HP or larger motor needs to be on either a private 20 Amp 120 Volt or better yet rewired and used on a 15 or 20 Amp 240 Volt private circuit. Wire runs need to be kept short and done with #12 or heavier copper wire. The starting current is too great (especially on 120 Volts) for anything less. It may start a few times, but over time you'll have troubles.
    Last edited by Woussko; 03-08-2008, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Re: Current Draw & the TS3650

No chance you will run this saw and a shop vac off of one 15 amp circuit. It may run if you have nothing going thru it, but as soon as you load that motor down by putting lumber into the blade you are going to trip the breaker. This can become a dangerous situation if you forget to turn the switch off on the saw and reset the breaker.

Can you just buy a 12 ga extension cord and run it from the house to the saw?

Jeff

Comment

I have my 3660 running on a 15 amp circuit, and every time I fire up the saw, the lights go dim for a short time. May just be a problem with my garage wiring. I have an electrician that is going to give me an estimate to run my garage outlets to 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits.

I highly recommend getting the saw though. Look at several HD’s for the 3660, the updated saw. To be honest, not a lot has changed with the saw, but why not get the latest model.

Comment

In my last house I had my TS3650 in my garage which was wired on a single 15-amp circuit. I ran the saw, a small shop vac and 5 fluorescent shop lights without any problems. I only recall tripping the breaker one time, and that was unfortunately after dark and someone else started the clothes washer. Since then I always try to keep my lighting on a separate circuit if at all possible.
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I run mine on a 15 amp 120v circuit. Hopefully the upgrade to 20a will happen this year. I cannot run the shop vac (7.5a) on the same circuit, so I run it off the garage door opener circuit. By code, you should not have any single item pulling more than 80% of the rated load (for 15a thats 12amps). The saw rarely pulls over 12 amp unless you are really hoggin out some wood or running a deep dado. If you use an extension cord, use a minimum 14 guage but preferably 12 gauge, and keep it to 25'. Don't run anything else on the circuit while cutting (except maybe a light for the work bench).
            I don't know why they even put 15a circuits in garages and outdoor receptacles anymore. Even my circular saw is rated at 15a, altho it has never popped the breaker.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by anon View Post
              I have my 3660 running on a 15 amp circuit, and every time I fire up the saw, the lights go dim for a short time. May just be a problem with my garage wiring. I have an electrician that is going to give me an estimate to run my garage outlets to 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits.

I highly recommend getting the saw though. Look at several HD’s for the 3660, the updated saw. To be honest, not a lot has changed with the saw, but why not get the latest model.
              I also run mine off of a 15A circuit, and if it is the ones with the lights they go dim. I have also run it w/ the shop vac on the same circuit without tripping the breaker. (I usually try to run them on separate ones, but that doesn't always actually happen).

Comment

3650, 1500 watt heater, 1hp band saw, 2.25 router, BOSS, 320 watts of florescent,and jointer next. All competing for one 15 amp circuit. Power management, key factor, put it on my resume.
                Steve.

Comment

I too have the pleasure of living in a rental property. however the garage is 700 sq. feet and has plenty of room for all the equipment i ahve aquired over the years. the only problem i have is if i run the tablesaw and heater at the same time. if heater is off i'm ok to run the saw and dust collector at the same time with no problems. hope you learn to love your 3650 as much as i love mine. also i used kockey pucks under my feet to dampen the already liitle vibration that this saw has

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice.

It looks like I have a couple options. I have my 15amp circuit in the garage and after looking into the extension cord idea it looks like there is a secondary kitchen circuit that runs 20 amps and no appliances connected to it.

So I will be pickin up the saw tomorrow. Now i just have to figure a way to tie down the hatch of my RSX for the ride home.

And checked the Home Depot, they have the 3660 available.

Tomorrow after the Pens - Caps game. I start assembly. Gonna be a good day.

JParson - thanks for the hockey puck idea. Might have to try that.

Comment

also i used kockey pucks under my feet to dampen the already liitle vibration that this saw has

Isn't it somewhat awkward to walk around on those things

Comment

Update:

So I purchased the saw today and the Pens won (good game too).

I ended up getting the TS3660 version. I made the poor kid move all sorts of stuff to get it off the top shelf even though there was a 3650 just sitting there.

I did have a question though. I ended up getting the 3650 rail (box 2 of 2), he said thats all they had. Is there any difference between the 3650/3660 rail fence?

Comment

Originally posted by woodtown View Post
                          Update:

So I purchased the saw today and the Pens won (good game too).

I ended up getting the TS3660 version. I made the poor kid move all sorts of stuff to get it off the top shelf even though there was a 3650 just sitting there.

I did have a question though. I ended up getting the 3650 rail (box 2 of 2), he said thats all they had. Is there any difference between the 3650/3660 rail fence?
                          Yeah, you just got a free set of extra rails. I dont think there is any difference in the rails, just the packaging. When you open your 3660 you will find a complete set of rails in the box. The 3660 is packaged in one box. If you are a nice guy you will take them back since they belong to the 3650 that was sitting there. Otherwise, you have spares! I would take them back and see if you can scam the manager out of a 10% coupon for your next purchase for being such a nice guy! Either that or make sure you have your receipt with you and maybe he will rebate you another 10% on your saw. Never hurts to ask!
                          Last edited by JTROANOKE; 03-09-2008, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X