Problems bolting extension tables to TS3660

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems bolting extension tables to TS3660

I was unable to install the two center 5/16-18 x 3/4 in bolts in the table extensions. The bolts are either end went in just fine - plenty of clearance. However, the table interferred with the center bolts just enough to prevent me from installing them.

Anyone else have this issue?

Re: Problems bolting extension tables to TS3660

How far ofset are the two holes? If they're only off by a little, it should be fairly easy to just run a twist drill bit through one and enlarge the other.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

He might be referring to the fact that you have to get all of them started first before tightening any of them all the way. At least I think that's what I had to do back when I was assembling mine.

Comment

The bolts on either end were still loose when I tried to install the center two bolts. The issue was that the head of the bolt was interferring with the casting, causing the bolt to skew and preventing proper thread engagement. I am going to try a shorter bolt - perhaps 5/8"L or 1/2"L.

Comment

I had the same problem until I drank a cup of coffee to clear my head of the instructions in the assembly manual...

Starting from scratch, here's what worked:
          1. Leave the end bolts out.
          2. Insert the two center bolts into the holes in the extension.
          3. Mate the extension to the table (this might take a little finagling, since you're actually mating the BOLTS to the THREADED HOLES, not the machined surfaces to each other), finger-tighten the center bolts.
          4. Insert and finger-tighten the "outside" bolts.
          5. Align the table and the extension, and wrench-tighten all bolts.
          6. Repeat from #1 for the other extension.
          *Voila!*

Comment

I encountered the same difficulty assembling the 3650 I just purchased from my local HD (they had not received their 3660s yet and still had 3 of the 3650s). I discovered the solution by accident. Upon reading that the table assembly was to be done with the product upside down, I retrieved a few knocked-down cardboard boxes that I had lying around and put them on the floor to prevent the tabletop from getting marred. I had only partially threaded the 2 outside bolts, not finger-tight and was down on the floor on my knees wrestling with the 2 inside bolts, wondering if the table had been mis-cast. I slid back to get a better line of sight and because I was on the cardboard when I did so it pulled the wing out against the outside bolt heads leaving just under a quarter-inch gap between the wing and the table. The light bulb lit over my head and leaving it that way the bolts dropped right in, I closed the gap and finger-tightened all of them. I planned for that on the other side, only partially threading the 2 outside bolts, slid the wing back and Voilla! Give it a shot.

Comment

After putting the legs onto the cabinet (upside down), I was going to put the extensions on next. I figured the saw was heavy enough the way it was, so with help, turned the saw over and then attached the extensions. I supported the extensions using an outfeed setup and screwed them into place. Checked the alignment and then tightened the bolts.

BTW, what's with the English size of bolts (say 5/16-18x3/4, only to tighten them up with a metric wrench?

Comment

Working...
              X