X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw blade speed (question)

Has anyone attempted to increase there blade speed from the normal 3450 RPM's by the use of larger pully's? I have used some saws that run from 4100 to 5000, that cut really fast an smooth. Let me know what you think about this idea.

Thanks

interesting topic. My blade spins a on the higher end, but I have no idea what that means regarding the performance of the saw. Just a part of the saw I use.

Looking forward to learning
    Jake

Comment

I'm really not familar with the topic, but I may be able to lead you in the right direction. Jerry Cole, owner of In-Line Industries, sells, among other things, a contractor's saw upgrade kit. You can buy this kit from some of the mail-order catalogs or directly from him. The kit includes machined pulleys, a linked belt, and set screws for micro-adjusting blade parallel on saws that don't have micro-adjustment. I know he sells different sized pulleys and he once recommended to me that I could replace my machined arbor pulley on a TS2424 I used to own with a larger one. He said this would increase the rpm. This sounds like what you're interested in doing. You can reach In-Line Industries (small company) at 1-800-533-6709 or at www.in-lineindustries.com. He is a friendly guy and I'm sure he'd be willing to give you some advise. He is out a lot because he sells most of his products either on line or at woodworking shows, which are about every weekend. Regardless, someone at In-Line can get you in touch with him within a short time.

Comment

Mistake. I made a mistake in the above post. A smaller arbor pulley (smaller than motor pulley) provides more rpm. By the way, I went to the In-Line website provided in my post above and found more info. If you click on more information about the Contractor Saw Performance Package you will go to a table that shows the rpm for various combinations of motor and arbor pulleys.

Comment

I bought a set of pulleys from http://www.in-lineindustries.com/ They told me to speed the saw up. I'm going to do it in a few weeks.
          Andy B.

Comment

Before tinkering with all of the engineering that went into your saw, remember that if you increase the blade RPM, you will decrease the blade's torque -- it would be exactly the same as shifting into a higher gear. You also have to take into account whether there are RPM limits on the blade you are using.

For what it is worth, I once put a photo-tach on my 2424 blade (no special reason; I just happen to have a photo-tach for adjusting the electric tachometers on diesel engines) and found that it was free spinning at something closer to 3,800 RPM than the spec 3,450.

Comment

Working...
            X