X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 3650 Tenoning Jig

I'm happy to say that i just bought my 3650 from the depot. (They're on sale right now.) After a 10% off coupon i ended up spending $420. I was looking online for a dado set and tenoning jig and came across the Grizzly H7583 Tenoning Jig and Grizzly H7777 8" Dado Blade Set for $110. Has anybody used these products or something similar?

Re: Ridgid 3650 Tenoning Jig

OT Where can I get the 10% off coupon you mention? It's looking more & more like I'm going to p/u the 3650 from HD soon. Tks in adv.

Comment

I did the same thing. Got mine from Lowes moving pack at USPS. The only problem is you have to signup and wait for it in the mail (usually a week). Here's the link
      http://lowesmoving.com/
      HD accepts competitor coupons, you just may need to get it authorized through a manager. Plus check to see if they have the updated TS3660 version.

Sorry TJS, just got the TS3660 like you. I can't give you any info on the grizzly set.

Comment

All the tenon jigs of this type are essentially the same except for the handle types. The jigs themselves benefit from a little extra TLC on assembly like sanding mating parts greasing certain things etc but still a good deal and less effort than making a jig yourself.

As for the dado blade, there are 5 reviews of this on Amazon. Can't go wrong with a Freud SD208 8-Inch Professional Dado, or Freud SD208 8-Inch Professional Dado. The first one is twice the price of the grizzly, buy it once is my best recommendation but then I don't have the grizzly so maybe I don't know what I'm missing - probably not though.

PMB
        http://benchmark.20m.com

Comment

Originally posted by Phil B View Post
          All the tenon jigs of this type are essentially the same except for the handle types. The jigs themselves benefit from a little extra TLC on assembly like sanding mating parts greasing certain things etc but still a good deal and less effort than making a jig yourself.

As for the dado blade, there are 5 reviews of this on Amazon. Can't go wrong with a Freud SD208 8-Inch Professional Dado, or Freud SD208 8-Inch Professional Dado. The first one is twice the price of the grizzly, buy it once is my best recommendation but then I don't have the grizzly so maybe I don't know what I'm missing - probably not though.

PMB
          http://benchmark.20m.com
          I got the SD206 from Rockler, i've used it for some rabbets grooves on my TS3650. I went with the 206 instead of the 208, because I've read that with less than 3hp getting the 6" instead of the 8" can make your cuts go smoother. The 6" can still do pretty deep cuts (at least up to an inch), but not quite as deep as the 8".

Comment

Don't forget to add shipping to that total....tenoning jigs are heavy, and the dado set isn't all that light. Those items are $126.80 to my house.

Do you have a Woodcraft or Rockler near you? Both will have a very similar/identical jig for about that price. Lowes might even carry one.

My first dado was the SD208...good set IMO. Then I went with a DeWalt 7670 that was great for about the same price. And now I have a 42T Systimatic "Superfine" set, that's better yet. I haven't tried the Grizzly dado...the number of teeth should give it a good cut if it's well made. It has a very similar design as my US made Systimatic, but odds are good it's made overseas...it might be fine, but dunno from experience. I've tried an Oshlun (former Avenger line) 40T blade from Holbren that had C4 carbide and was remarkably well made for the price. They've got an Oshlun dado set that also has a very similar design as my Systimatic, that'd I'd be more willing to try than the Grizzly...I'm kind of intrigued after trying their other blade. Holbren offers free s/h and 10% discount to Woodnet, Sawmill Creek, and BT3 Central members with "woodnet10", "SMC10", and "BT310" codes, and is super to deal with.
            Last edited by hewood; 03-13-2008, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X