X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for plans - Bunkbeds

Anyone have or know where I can get some bunkbed plans. I've googled and found some ideas but would love to hear what you'll have done. Thanks!

Paul

Re: Looking for plans - Bunkbeds

Hello, I initially thought of purchasing new ones myself, but I looked around and found a full over twin on craigslist, then I went to Levitz.com . There I found the diminsions of theirs. I also went to see it $600 plus for their bed. On a tight budget here last year, I built my own version based on their diminsions. Went to HD and bought 16 ft 2x8 and 2x6 fir. It should last a long time, I don`t think they are generation keepers, but you never know. Would be nice. Email me, I will send you pics. I already had a full size bed with mattress, so I needed to keep costs down and avoid replacing a fairly new mattress. So $300 later including a twin Serta mattress, thanks Sam`s Club, I was done. Minwax Early American stain with 4 coats of semi gloss poly. Sanded in between coats. Came out really nice. The rails bolt in, so the heads are reccessed. The ends are glued and screwed with buttons to cover. 1x4 cut for slats. 2x4 ripped to support the bed, just like the Levitz version. Added a set of drawers on bottom too. Those are free standing, and not attached to the bed. Kids love it. & yr old is on top, and he is really tall for his age. I have laid up on top with no creaking either. I guess I could measure it for you, and also send you pics.

Comment

I built this bunkbed for my granddaughter. Since my son wanted to paint it, I used pine and poplar instead of oak or some other hard wood. I couldn't see wasting good oak under white paint!

Doug

Comment

I'll be building a bunk bed for my twin boys in a couple of years. Seems like it shouldn't be all that difficult a project. Any other recommendations on plans?

Comment

Josh I will probably be using these plans here:

http://a.familyfun.go.com/Resources/loft.pdf

This works best for my needs as I have one nice bed that I can keep intact underneath. The plans are excellent and give a detailed list of materials. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Paul

Comment

Did you try plansnow.com or woodworking.com?

Comment

The guys from Hammered on DIY made a nice set out of oak. Not an actual plan, but is pretty straight forward. The next episode comes on Wednesday at 10:30. Very cool.

Comment

Working...
              X