X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2400 ripping problem?

I am having a problem with my 2400LS binding while ripping a piece of white wood. It was working fine the last time I used it, the only thing I have done with the saw since then was to cut some Zero Clearance Insterts then I put it up and had not used it since.

I have checked the blade alignment with the left Mitre slot and it is within .003 from front to back, I have checked and rechecked the splitter to make sure it is centered of the blade, or just to the left, I even tried it flush with the right side. I have also checked the rip fence and it is within .006 from front to back with the right mitre slot.

I can litterally watch the wood walk away from the rip fence after it has passed the blade and start to bind up. I have even forced it through the bind and then the board comes out bowed like it cut to deep in the middle. I am affraid to cut it without the splitter as I am sure that the prawls has been the only thing keeping me from eating wood!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance

Re: TS2400 ripping problem?

Some pieces of wood have a great deal of internal stress in them that is relieved when cut. This usually results in a bind when ripping as the would closes at the kerf. Try a thinner slice or different wood. Only other thing I can think of is a damaged blade since you setup number seem fine

Comment

Thanks for the advise, I am going to change the blade to see if it is damaged. As for cutting a smaller piece, the piece I am trying to rip is only 2 1/2 inces wide out of a 6" piece of white pine.

Comment

Cut the piece far enough to just pass the back of the blade then shut the saw off, pull the wood out of the blade. Is the kerf in the wood even or does it close/pinch at the cut end

Comment

It is pinched in, it is almost completely closed at the end of the cut!

Comment

I just ripped a piece of 3/4 MDF and it ripped it just fine, I know it is softer than wood and is a man made material and does not have grain but I'm stumped as to why the white pine is pinching in?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Has the piece of pine been flattened and straightened on a jointer and/or planer before cutting? If not, wood that is twisted and inconsistent can be tough on the saw. MDF is mostly flat.

Comment

wbrooks has it right, and you verified it when you said the kerf was pinched shut at the end. Some wood has LOTS of internal stress, which is only realized after you try to rip it. I've never figured out a reliable way to figure out which piece of wood will cause a problem. And, the only work around I know is to try to safely finish the cut and see what the wood does when you are finished. Sometimes the next rip will be OK, but as often as not there will be more problems. The only reliable solution is use another piece of wood.

The good news is that your saw is fine.

Scott

Comment

Hewood:

Yes I joined and plained the wood before trying to rip it, I went ahead and cut up a bunch of 3/4 MDF and it all cut just fine. I believe it is the wood and I have more but have not tried to rip any of it as of yet because I was trying to find out if it was my saw or not now I know it is the wood so I will try to cut some different pieces to see if the react the same way or not.

I will re-post tomorrow to let you all know how it turned out.

Thanks again.

Comment

Its called timber bind where I grew up.It can happen in any species of wood but for me its generally happened more in soft woods.Theres no magic cure to cutting a piece of wood with it but at your own risk I've used wedges in the kerf to cut it ONLY when I really needed that exact piece of wood.For safety its best to just grab another stick of wood to use.If you do cut it don't stand in front of the board as it likely will spit back at you.Use the board as is if you can or toss it in the fireplace
                    Sam

Comment

Do you or anyone near you have a good bandsaw? In the case of this piece of wood and other wood like it, you really need to mark and freehand rip it. Doing it on a table saw with a rip fence is dangerous at best. After cutting it with a bandsaw, let it sit a week or so and then use a belt sander to try to get it straight or if you have one, use a jointer and take very light cuts.

Warning: Think safety if you plan to use a jointer. You don't want it to chomp away on your fingers/hands.

The idea of some wood needing to see the fire is a good one. It's never worth getting hurt over a piece of wood. Never

Comment

Thanks all! I really do appreciate the input, I have been lucky so far as to have not had this problem before. I do have a band saw and I can finish cutting the piece on it with no problem, I also have a joiner if need. I was just worried that my TS had gone to crap all of a sudden and was unsure as how to proceed.

Thanks again for all your input.

Comment

Working...
                        X