Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TS366(5)0 Accessories/Upgrades

Wood junkie

I just bought the TS 3660 last week. I am looking for information on a dado set as well as anyone who can tell me what is the largest cut you can make on this arbor. I was looking at the Freud SD 508 but maybe I should stick with the 506 with this 1/2 hp motor? The SD 208 says it will cut nearly a inch wide dado. Will the arbor hold something this big. Any thoughts please.

Comment

Originally posted by hrbhskr View Post
      Wood junkie

I just bought the TS 3660 last week. I am looking for information on a dado set as well as anyone who can tell me what is the largest cut you can make on this arbor. I was looking at the Freud SD 508 but maybe I should stick with the 506 with this 1/2 hp motor? The SD 208 says it will cut nearly a inch wide dado. Will the arbor hold something this big. Any thoughts please.
      You should be able to get a full 13/16" from most 6 or 8" dados. The SD608 with the dial-a-width feature has a hub that takes up some of the arbor length, so you'll get less width with that one, but the SD206/208/506/508, or most standard stacked dados should give full width. To get full width, you'll need to leave off the arbor washer and just tighten the arbor nut....a standard practice with dado sets.

Comment

Originally posted by hrbhskr View Post
        Wood junkie

My opinion on dadoes is that 3/4" is the widest you'll need to cut, 99.95% of the time. This is mostly due to the '3/4" syndrome' of modern dimensional materials. So, worrying about getting a dado set that will do bigger is, in my most humble opinion, irrelevant. If you need to cut a 1" dado, or 1.25", just adjust your fence and run through again. Simple solution.

Anyway, the Freud dado sets are highly regarded. But the dial-a-width dado sets will NOT fit on the TS3650 arbor, according to multiple posters. I personally have a "discount" 8" dado set I picked up at Menard's for < $80. I don't even remember the brand, but it works just fine and cuts cleanly when I need it.

I actually prefer to use my router to do most of my dadoes, as they turn out better, IMO, and it's less fuss setting up the width since I have standard and undersized plywood dado bits. Since I have a table extension on the table saw, I can use the table saw fence and table top to route dadoes in fairly large work pieces. If the dado is too narrow by a hair, I put 2-3 layers of electrical tape on the fence and run it through again. This takes off about 1/64". Again, if I need one wider, I just move the fence.

Comment

Per the ZCI query, make your own as posted multiple times - no flame intended - just do a search. Welcome aboard!
          Later,
          Chiz

Comment

Working...
          X