X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS366(5)0 Accessories/Upgrades

So after purchasing the TS3660 and looking over the forum it appears there are a few accessory and upgrade considerations that I need to make or atleast think about. I was hoping to get some help from the experts. Here are the main categories to consider:

1) Miter Gauge - from reviews I have read, this may be a weakness. Anyone have good alternative suggestions?
    2) Fence - I don't plan on getting an expensive fence right now, so the stock fence appears to be fine
    3) Paste Wax - reviews seem to lead to Johnson's paste wax
    4) Blades - many options, i'll probably start with stock
    5) Dado Set - Freud SD208/508, Forrest Dado King DKO8244, Infinity Dadonator, Ridge Carbide Dado Master all appear to be good choices
    6) Zero Clearance Insert - Might T Track or Leecraft RG1 appear to be best
    7) Featherboard - Anyone have a good recommendation?
    8) Router Table - Hopefully add this to the rail
    9) Blade Guard- Any need to upgrade?
    10) Dust Collector - A simple shopvac setup is sufficient for the saw?
    11) Vibration - Trying hockey pucks was one idea
    12) Anything I'm missing?

Thanks everyone
    Last edited by woodtown; 03-10-2008, 09:50 PM.

Re: TS366(5)0 Accessories/Upgrades

Originally posted by woodtown View Post
    So after purchasing the TS3660 and looking over the forum it appears there are a few accessory and upgrade considerations that I need to make or atleast think about. I was hoping to get some help from the experts. Here are the main categories to consider:

1) Miter Gauge - from reviews I have read, this may be a weakness. Anyone have good alternative suggestions?
    The Incra V27 is a terrific bang for the buck. Osborne EB-3 is good too, but costs nearly double

Any...just be sure it's pure paste wax with no silicone

The blade and alignment dictate the end performance. Do some research and get a good blade or two.

5) Dado Set - Freud SD208/508, Forrest Dado King DKO8244, Infinity Dadonator, Ridge Carbide Dado Master all appear to be good choices
    The Freud 508, Forrest, Infinity, Ridge Carbide are all great choices, but will run $150+. The SD208 is decent for the money, but has half the number of teeth as the others and rougher cut to match. The DeWalt or Delta 7670 is a cleaner cutting set than the SD208 IME. If budget is tight, the Oshlun dado sets offer alot for the price, and is still high quality.

yes (any)

10) Dust Collector - A simple shopvac setup is sufficient for the saw?
    shop vacs have very small dust reservoirs...you'll fill it quickly and will clog the filter too. A real dust collector is a better tool for the job and will move more air

11) Vibration - Trying hockey pucks was one idea
    sounds like a bandaid that doesn't address a core issue. Get the alignment of the pulleys and the motor tension right and you should be ok. If not, keep checking belt, pulleys, arbor, blade, motor shaft, etc.

How about a good TS book like "TS Magic" by Jim Tolpin?

Comment

hewood's answers are pretty much spot on but there is one other option you might want to consider for the dado set. Your saw with it's 1½ HP motor can spin an 8" dado set alright but will spin a 6" set with much less effort. If you don't see a sled in your future or plan on making dado's over 1¼" deep than a 6" set is a very viable option to consider.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by woodtown View Post

Thanks everyone
        (SNIP)

I may be "cracked" on the subject (or so says my wife), but my previous saw (gone thank goodness) had possibly the worst miter gauge on Earth (and was a non-standard channel size so there were NO replacements available - a long story).

The V27 is very good. But I now have (and previously used on someone else's saw) the Incra 1000SE which is about twice the cost of the V27 but has extremely good accuracy and has a really good telescoping fence on it which I find useful.

Comment

I was given the kreg miter/fence combination for Christmas and like it very much.

Comment

I have the Osborne EB-3. Huge upgrade from the one that came with the 3650. I haven't seen the need to upgrade the fence.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...0108_281290-20

Comment

>> Upgrade as soon as you settle on a model and /or find a good deal. The stock miter gauge blows chunks. Keep an eye on Amazon, Rockler, and Woodpeckers. They often have deals on miter gauges and $60-$120 will buy you an *accurate* accessory for the rest of your life.

2) Fence - I don't plan on getting an expensive fence right now, so the stock fence appears to be fine
              >> The 3650 fence is widely considered VERY accurate. Unless you find a phenomenal deal on a Biesemeyer (AND want to mod your saw to fit it) stick with the stock. You won't be disappointed.

>> An easier-to-apply alternative is Boeshield. Spray it on. Wipe it off (if you feel like it). Also easier to use (IMO) for jointer beds, planer beds, etc etc.

>> Here I think you should rearrange your priorities. You should get a better quality blade ASAP. Not necessarily a $100 blade, but at least something name-brand and in the $45+ range. You'll improve your results immediately.

>> Wait until you need it. You can also do dadoes with a router, so this is not a necessity until a project calls for it.

6) Zero Clearance Insert - Might T Track or Leecraft RG1 appear to be best
              >> I use a Leecraft as my primary ZCI and love it. I also have some cheaper UMHW ZCIs from Peachtree woodworking. I also have a few homemade ones, and the stock one. The Leecraft is the one in my saw 95% of the time.

>> Check out the Magswitch models. They're magnetic and you can just plop them down wherever (except over the miter slot!) and you're ready to go in about 2 seconds. In fact, HD just started carrying the two-sided Magswitch featherboards (and it's orange, LOL). If I didn't already have a set, I'd get that in a heartbeat. Heck, I still might get it. You can also use these on a jointer fence, a cast iron router table, cast iron bandsaw table, cast iron drill press table, etc etc.
              I use Bench Dog Feather-Locs with the miter slot adapter thing if my Magswitch will be over the miter slot. I like these 'cuz I also use them on my router fence, and on a T-slotted "cap" I made for the stock fence.

8) Router Table - Hopefully add this to the rail
              >> Most people will say that a stand-alone router table is a better long-term choice. But if you need to conserve space, this is an awesome way to go.

12) Anything I'm missing?
              >> EAR AND EYE PROTECTION! Push sticks, etc. I recently bought a drum sander from a gentleman who said the Grr-Ripper is the greatest woodworking safety device invented in recent history. Great reviews. I ordered one today to see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps give that a look?

Comment

Do most stock miter gauges have to be upgraded? The Delta and Jet saws I've looked at seem to have a fairly decent miter gauge. The 3660 is a little less of a deal if I have to add $60~100 for an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by tchads View Post
                  Do most stock miter gauges have to be upgraded? The Delta and Jet saws I've looked at seem to have a fairly decent miter gauge. The 3660 is a little less of a deal if I have to add $60~100 for an upgrade.
                  Some are better than others, but few to none are excellent....the Ridgid gauge is more at the low end. Many stock gauges are capable of good 90° cuts if there's no slop in the track, but even slop can be compensated for with technique. The gross inaccuracies occur when you set the stock gauge to a desired angle setting and end up 1-2° off. Even better made gauges like the General, some GI, and some Grizzly gauges that have cast iron heads and adjustable miter bars, still have unreliable protractor readings. The 45s on my GI gauge used to be marked at ~ "43.5°" to get a true 45. The after market gauges should be repeatable for more exact angles once properly adjusted.

Comment

When you get a new miter gauge, don't throw out the stock one. It's good for attaching a scrap piece of wood for jigs.

Comment

Hi, I am brand new to woodworking and to this forum. How can you use the 3660 as a router table? I have limited cash and space... I just bought my saw this week to get started.

Thanks,
                      Ken

Comment

There are a few ways it can be done. Searching google or various woodworking forums for something like "table saw router table" will give you some ideas on how to build one. You can also buy a set of plans from plansnow.com (http://www.plansnow.com/dn3061.html). I am going to be adding one to my 3650 and have used what I found online as a guide.

Comment

Originally posted by kenschultze@hotmail.com View Post
                          Hi, I am brand new to woodworking and to this forum. How can you use the 3660 as a router table? I have limited cash and space... I just bought my saw this week to get started.

Thanks,
                          Ken
                          Hi Ken - Places like Rockler, MLCSWoodworking, Woodcraft, and Grizzly sell router tables that mount in a standard 27" deep saw. It's also pretty easy to build your own...it's alot cheaper, and you have more flexibility of how to do it. I tend to use whatever old materials I can find....used countertop is a good choice. Here's a couple of pics of three I've built:
                          Attachment Attachment Attachment
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks!! just finished putting the saw together, now its time to get started.

Comment

Originally posted by zeker View Post
                              I have the Osborne EB-3. Huge upgrade from the one that came with the 3650. I haven't seen the need to upgrade the fence.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...0108_281290-20
                              The EB-3 is now available directly from Osborne for $109

Comment

Working...
                              X