X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bandsaw riser

ok I am purchasing a band saw, beeing a noobie to woodworking.... I wanted to know what the riser kit does exactly.
    have to start somewhere and sawing details with a electric jig saw is kinda jumpy .

§m€llŸ™

Re: bandsaw riser

Originally posted by smelly View Post
    ok I am purchasing a band saw, beeing a noobie to woodworking.... I wanted to know what the riser kit does exactly.
    have to start somewhere and sawing details with a electric jig saw is kinda jumpy .

smelly,

I can't give you info on the riser kit; I don't own a band saw, but I did just complete Norm's adirondack chair using a jig saw. The most important thing I found was to clamp the stock to the bench very firmly. Quick Grips just didn't cut it, I needed to use C-clamps with some scraps to get sufficient pressure.

The other thing that might be useful is a coping saw. For the small arm brackets I made, I couldn't use the clamps and fit the jig saw's sole on the workpiece. For those I had to resort to a coping saw, which if the cut isn't that long isn't so bad.

Comment

The riser kit increases the resaw capacity of the band saw.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

yes I was using the clamp trick to hold stuff done too.
        §m€llŸ™

Comment

You know what kills me about that episode of the New Yankee workshop, Norm builds the thing with a band saw and then at the end mentions it can be done with a jig saw. As much as I love woodworking shows they make it look so easy with all the machines/tools theyhave that home/hobby woodworkers may never have a chance to own (wide belt sanders come to mind). But I HATE the jigsaw so much I bought a bandsaw. May be overkill for me needs (at least for now) but what a world of difference it makes.

I am currently in the process of making templates out of 1/2" mdf for all the curved pieces of the adirondack chair so I can make a couple of sets. Then I can rough cut on the bandsaw and clean up with router and templates.

Comment

The "Riser Block" increases the resaw capacity of the traditional 14-inch bandsaw design (like the Ridgid, Grizzly, Jet, and many other similar models). These are usually two-piece cast iron frames that are bolted together at the rear of the saw where the blade passes from the lower wheel to the upper wheel. By adding the riser block at that point, you extend the distance above the table. A longer blade guard/guide assembly may also be necessary, in addition to a longer blade.

Welded steel frame bandsaws like the Rikon, Sears "Professional 14-inch" and similar designs cannot be fitted with a riser block, as the frame is a one-piece steel fabrication.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Funny you would mention that. I just installed a riser kit on my Ridgid BS14002. I got the kit from Grizzly.com and the item number is H3051. Its a perfect bolt in, no modifications. Grizzly makes 2 riser kits, the difference is the diameter of the upper guide post. Ridgid has a riser kit, but its $160. The kit from Grizzly is $60.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H3051

Here is a link to the other thread I posted here and pictures of what we are talking about. HTH

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16402
              Last edited by weblance; 03-14-2008, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X