Probond glue.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probond glue.

I have been using Titebond III with excellent results and I like it, BUT it is expensive. I use alot of glue to bond counter tops, underlayment, furniture, trim, I really depend on a good quality glue and a couple fine nails to hold till the glue cures or pocket screws and glue for strong joints and Titebond III has been great. But recently a read a summary of a Consumers Report of Elmer's Probond glue being their top choice. Probond is about 17 dollars per gallon and Titebond III is about 29 dollars per gallon. I always figured that more expensive was better but I think I was foolish.... I've used probond the last month and it is nice, clean, light colored, good consistency and I think i have a winner! Good quality, good price, and readily available! Anyone else use Probond?

Dave

Re: Probond glue.

I've used both and like both equally but im no pro cabinet guy.Which is cheaper or on sale is what I buy
    Sam

Comment

Re: Probond glue.

Originally posted by threecreeks3 View Post
      I've used both and like both equally but im no pro cabinet guy.Which is cheaper or on sale is what I buy
      Sam
      I'm also not a pro, but I only use Titebond III on my projects that will have some exposure to moisture / water. That's really it's main "feature".

Normally I use Titebond (original) for interior projects and all my shop jigs, etc, etc. I've used ProBond before, and did not notice or find any differences between it and regular Titebond. So, whichever is cheaper is what I use. Oh, there was one difference, and this is petty... The cap for Titebond tends to get stuck if I don't clean it up really well. But, it's also a flat "ribbon" dispensing type nose. The Probond bottle had an easy to remove cap that never stuck, but it dispensed more like a bead of caulk.

As an aside, if you're buying gallons, hopefully you use a LOT of glue in a relatively short period of time. I read something about glue's shelf and storage life. I personally can't buy gallons for the savings, because I doubt I would use all of it within one year. Since my shop has temperature fluctuations (it's currently hovering in the high 40's) I fear a) some would go to waste, or even worse b) I would use glue that's been compromised and have a project fail down the road.

Comment

Working...
      X