X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Planer & Ridgid's Sales

I am so excited! I finally took the plunge into planerland.

I have been eyeing the TP1300LS for a while now but wasn't sure if I could justify the $100 cost over a comparable (but in my eyes, not equal) Delta. Last night, I conveyed this to the manager at our local HD (which I continue to believe is a GREAT store, but that's a whole other topic) and he took $50 off. Couldn't pass it up.

This occurrence got me thinking, "I wonder how Ridgid sales are." Does anyone have Ridgid's sales trends over the past few years? Everybody I hear from that owns a Ridgid tool loves it and would buy it again in a minute. However, it's got to be hard to win over a woodworking community that has passed on for generations that players such as Delta and Powermatic are the best.

Regardless, I can't wait to fire it up this weekend. I have a hunch that most of the scrap boards in my shop are going to be a little thinner come Monday

Green,

Though I do not have any sales numbers to give you, our sales are as good as can be expected given the current economy. We are slowly but surely gaining a name for ourselves in the woodworking market and trying hard to build a base of loyal customers such as yourself.

Jake

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Green Wood:
      I am so excited! I finally took the plunge into planerland.

I have been eyeing the TP1300LS for a while now but wasn't sure if I could justify the $100 cost over a comparable (but in my eyes, not equal) Delta. Last night, I conveyed this to the manager at our local HD (which I continue to believe is a GREAT store, but that's a whole other topic) and he took $50 off. Couldn't pass it up.

This occurrence got me thinking, "I wonder how Ridgid sales are." Does anyone have Ridgid's sales trends over the past few years? Everybody I hear from that owns a Ridgid tool loves it and would buy it again in a minute. However, it's got to be hard to win over a woodworking community that has passed on for generations that players such as Delta and Powermatic are the best.

Regardless, I can't wait to fire it up this weekend. I have a hunch that most of the scrap boards in my shop are going to be a little thinner come Monday
      <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been debating between the Rigid TP1300LS and the Delta 560 and in hopes someone would have some advice....
      Pray tell...How is the dust collection working and any other comments..
      Pap

Comment

Pap: Unfortunately, I do not have a dust collection system, so I can't offer much there. I will say that the chute does a good job of clearing out the chips even without a DC system. It hasn't come close to clogging on me yet.

Several things about this machine have amazed me.

1. The smoothness of the cut. The machine cuts smooth taking 1/8" off at a time. When taking 1/32" for a final pass, it's like glass.
        2. No adjustments. None. Table was dead on (no evidence of snipe yet). The depth stops were dead on.
        3. The utility of the preset depth stops. I think the benefit of this repeatability is immeasurable.
        4. Ease of assembly. I know this is a minor thing, but I don't think I have ever had something go together so easily. The directions were clear. All the nuts and bolts were presorted and conveniently packaged. Attention to details such as these make me happy.

I have not had the opportunity to work with the planer extensively (I have other "honey-do's" to complete first [img]smile.gif[/img] ), but I have been very impressed and happy with my purchase so far.

Good luck Pap!

Comment

Pap...I use a 2HP 4" system for DC, and it does a fantastic job with the TP1300. I planed just half a dozen 8' pine 1X6's down to 1/2" on Sunday, and would not have even needed the shop vac for final cleanup if I hadn't blown out a few loose chips in the planer when I was done.

By the way, I have a Delta 560 stuffed in the corner, and hoping to sell. It was what drove me to the Ridgid. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Russ

Comment

Hey Pap, I got the dust collect chute with mine, and have used it with my 4.5 hp Ridgid wet/dry vac. Works excellent!! It does fill up fast though!!

Comment

Well guys, I wish I had the same luck as you with my T1300 Ridgid planer. It has been nothing but a nightmare. I have to keep cleaning the rollers and the shute with every board I do. Even with a 1/16 cut I get this. I have waxed it, tried silicone,and many other things. It starts to clog up as soon as the board starts to come through. I bought this planer last January, but I never used it until October. I only use dry wood in my planer. I have spent more time cleaning than planing. Duker

Comment

Another positve report for the TP1300. Mine has been great! No problems, easy to adjust and the little snipe I do get is removed when I use the cutter head lock on the final two passes.

As far as the dust collection goes, mine has never clogged up. The dust chute has a 2 1/2 inch side and a 4 inch side. I'm using the 4" side and run it through 4" piping to my Ridgid DC2000. Works awesome!

I find that the machines which make chips (planer, jointer)as opposed to dust (any saw) never clog. There is also a big difference between the 4" and 2.5" piping. Remember, shop vacs are all about suction where dust collectors are all about cubic feet per minute. The wider piping allows a higher CFM albeit at a lower suction which is why they work so well.
                - Tim

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duker:
                  Well guys, I wish I had the same luck as you with my T1300 Ridgid planer. It has been nothing but a nightmare. I have to keep cleaning the rollers and the shute with every board I do. Even with a 1/16 cut I get this. I have waxed it, tried silicone,and many other things. It starts to clog up as soon as the board starts to come through. I bought this planer last January, but I never used it until October. I only use dry wood in my planer. I have spent more time cleaning than planing. Duker <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duker,

Are you having trouble with the feeding of stock, or are you having problems with the chute clogging up? It sounds like it’s actually the chute backing up. With woods that produce soft, fluffy chips such as pine or cedar, chute clogs can get to really be a problem. In many of the cases I've seen it looks like static electricity is the culprit. To help combat this you can spray the dust chute area behind the cutterhead with a static spray, but if chips are still a problem try a light sprits of water on the surface just before you plane the board.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                  X