X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Molding Cutter...

The ridgidparts site says that this will work on all ridgid table saws... has anyone used this cutter??? I found another molding cutter for the table saw (magic molder)... but it retails for $108.00 without the blades...
    http://www.lrhent.com/heads.htm

Any advice/suggestions... should I just spend my money on a high end router and table??? It just seems like a cool idea to turn my 3650 into a molder...

Re: Ridgid Molding Cutter...

Hopefully some of the other members will jump in here and give you their experiences. But I personally don't like them. I think a decent router will give you a much better finish and is a lot safer.

Of course my perception may only be that... but the darn molding cutters just don't seem to fly to well and make a more noise than I'm comfortable with. Also, I think you have to be very careful as to how much "cut" you're going to attempt to stress them with. I think we're all accustomed to that 1/8-inch max. that is recommended with a router or a surface planer, but have a tendency to forget when it comes to molding on a table saw. In any case, I stay away from them.

CWS

Comment

Head over to Sawmill Creek, there was a thread about these recently. If you don't want to read the whole thread, I will sum it up for you. These blades are VERY dangerous! Most people had experienced very bad kick-back with these blades. Reading that thread will make you think twice. Do yourself a favor and get the router, it is a lot more versatile and safer (when set-up accordingly).

Comment

I have an old Sears 3 head molding cutter. I have used it on my Ridgid 3650, (once, and then found another way) and used it before on my old, much less powerful Craftsman saw. They work, but using it was so uncomfortable to me that I went out and bought a good router, and am buying bits as needed.
        I could not pull up the link you gave, so don't know anything about that cutter, but the Sears one holds three cutters. That is equivalent to a 3 tooth saw blade except the teeth are 1" wide x 1 1/2" long, x 1/8" thick sharpened tool steel. They are each held in place by one allen-wrench type set screw.
        First, if a screw comes loose, you have a seriously sharp large chunk of tool steel headed at you at over 100 mph.
        Second, if you get too rushed, imagine the kickback from that 1" wide cutter lifting and launching your work back at you.
        Third, the noise is quite peculiar; kind of like a 6" diameter 3 bladed fan spinning at over 3000 RPM. Imagine being in a closet with a giant hornet and you get the effect.
        Fourth, with the wide spacing of the cutters, the rate of speed you can use is slower and the quality of cut not nearly as good as a router.

Molding heads are cheaper than a router or shaper, and the bit sets are less than a good profile router bit. However, in my older days, I have seen the wisdom of the saying:"If it doesn't feel safe, don't do it". I don't think anyone could feel safe using a molding head.
        IMHO: it is an attempt to make a TS a shaper, something it is not designed for, and pushes the envelope of common sense and safety with a lower quality end result. If you go that route, invest in good anti-kickback devices and always use them.
        When I get a round tuit, I hope to make some hand profile planes that I will be able to use the bits in. Until then they will most likely stay in the drawer collecting dust.

Go
        Last edited by Gofor; 03-19-2008, 08:29 PM.
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Just now the pictures in your post came up. The Sears one I have looks identical to the Ridgid one.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

GoFor is correct....I purchased one soon after buying the saw in lieu of a router to make edge banding. It scared the piss out of me. I ran 1 board though, shut it down, and bought a router and table.

Zeno
            “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

I have the sears model too I inherited from Dad and used it once.I have a shaper and router table I use and feel safer with.I'm very far from the type scared of using a tool with me its more I never saw nice finishes in hardwoods when Dad used it and when I tried it.
              Sam

Comment

Thanks guys... I have the bosch 1/4" colt palm router, and I am thinking about making a table for it. I called kreg about making an insert for their precision benchtop table... but the guy said that he's never mounted anything under 2hp to a router table. I do smaller scale work, and thought that the 1hp colt might be useful. It might just end up being a paperweight though... unless I can find a way to get a sturdy and accurate table for it.

Comment

Working...
                X