X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Molding and some issues.

About a month ago I decided to repaint the interior of my home. And as one thing typically leads to another I started painting the walls, and then the trim work around the house.

I was just about finished with the whole project when I noticed something that really bugged me. After the home was built the house settled and it caused some problems in a U shaped Handrail (made with 3 peices of board all cut at some angles and put togeather to form a U shape). Where 2 of the boards connected to eachother the calking had come apart, and also one of the boards was much higher than the other.

I decided this would be the perfect time to test out my new ROS. So I pulled out the sander and began to even off the edges. Now that the two boards are evened out I've run into a new issue, yes I didn't strip the paint from the rest of the boards (3-4 layers of latex paint adds up).

I'm at the point where I figure I need to either sand or chemically strip the paint off the rest of the handrail, but I figured I'd check these forums and see if anyone had some other suggestions which wouldn't cost me alot of time.

I thought about using wood putty to even out the height diffrences however I was concerned that using putty in the area of that joint would come back and haunt me in a few months. Any other suggestions? Or should I just bite the bullet and get to sanding?

Re: Wood Molding and some issues.

The last time I sanded several coats of latex, i ended up using a 6" disk sander and 35Grit disks to get through the first few layers. Chemical stripping in the house will be a mess at best and the fumes may make it intolerable. If you can move it outside, it would be a player, but you will probably have to do it multiple times as only one coat will usually come off at a time. After rinsing off the chemicals, you will need to let it dry several days before recoating.
    Another option is to use a heat gun and a putty knife to remove the majority of the paint. The heat gun will soften the latex so you can scrape or shave it off with a putty knife sharpened to a chisel tip (only bevel one side. To cut heavy put the flat side down. To take a lighter cut, put the bevel down). Scrape out the corners and tight spots with a hook scraper, and then finish sand with the ROS.

Hope this helps

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Gofor, I know I'm a bit late here but thanks for the help . I was about to start stripping down the paint but being a "work smarter not harder" type of guy, I went out and bought some various grit sanding pads for my ROS and ended up smoothing everything out enough that stripping all the paint wasn't needed.

Once it was repainted you couldn't even tell there was a problem to begin with.

Comment

Glad you had success. Sounds like it was one of those "I don't want to do this but have to so I'm gonna just get 'r' done" jobs.
        Thanks for the update.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Haha yea it was one of "those jobs".

Comment

Working...
          X