X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop vac filter question

I have the original filter in my fairly new Shop Vac. The pleats are SOOO close together that it gets packed tight with wood dust and is next to impossible to dis-lodge and clean. I hosed it out a few days ago and it swelled up like a balloon. It dried "ok" but i'd like to find one that does not have the pleats so close. It's the open ended one with the screw on bottom/holder thingy. I've shoved on one of my older metal ended filters but they seem to be smaller in diameter and really stretch out when on. Any suggestions? And the Hepa's are even worse. Had on on my old vac and tossed it! Plugged up way too fast for me.

Thanks.

Mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Re: Shop vac filter question

They can be expensive but I only use the shopvac bags in mine and they catch all the dust and save the filter. Its really amazing how much one will hold.

Mark

Comment

There is also a Shop-vac brand paper filter and ring. You use a Shop-vac foam water filter on the cage first and then the paper filter and then the ring slides up to the top trapping the paper filter. It works ok, seems like it passes a bit of dust, but doesnt pack like the pleated filter. Oh... its re-usable, shake it out and go again.

Comment

TWM

Can you please post the brand and model of your shop vac?

If it will take the genuine ShopVac brand standard size filter, I really like the mid grade blue ones. They wash up nice in the sink.
        http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=337
        Lowes has a better price on them than on here.

This is a way to help keep the cartridge from plugging up as fast, but only if it will fit your cartridge filter. Sometimes a little string can help to hold it in place.
        http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=167

For people that own genuine ShopVac drum vacs of 6 gallons or larger, the yellow drywall dust bags work very well for fine dust. They aren't cheap but I find them well worth the cost for sucking up drywall dust and cold ashes along with any other very fine dust. Scroll down for just the bags in several sizes. I recommend not using them with the basic cartridge. You really want to upgrade.
        http://www.shopvac.com/dept.asp?id=22

Here is their hands down best cartridge filter when used with the yellow bags.
        http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=332 (Clean Stream - Gore HEPA filter)
        This really cleans up tiny dust particles that pass through the bag. It washes up nice too. If too much $$$ for you then please go with the blue filter. The cheapo white filter that comes with the vac is only good for course dirt and when using the vac for water pickup. Far too much fine dust will pass through the cheapo cartridge filter for most dry use.
        Last edited by Woussko; 03-20-2008, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
          I have the original filter in my fairly new Shop Vac. The pleats are SOOO close together that it gets packed tight with wood dust and is next to impossible to dis-lodge and clean. I hosed it out a few days ago and it swelled up like a balloon. It dried "ok" but i'd like to find one that does not have the pleats so close. It's the open ended one with the screw on bottom/holder thingy. I've shoved on one of my older metal ended filters but they seem to be smaller in diameter and really stretch out when on. Any suggestions? And the Hepa's are even worse. Had on on my old vac and tossed it! Plugged up way too fast for me.

Thanks.

Mark
          Look into a CleanStream filter for your shop vac. It's an excellent filter, pleat peaks are spaced about 5/16" apart, and it's made out of GoreTex or something non-stick, so it cleans really easily. They cost more, but are definitely not disposable.

I have one in my Ridgid shop-vac, which is my primary dust collection for my shop. I have a ClearVue cyclone in the system, so the shop vac only gets the fine dust. Usually go about 2 months before I notice a loss of suction and clean it out. Cleaning it takes about 10 minutes (a compressor helps) and it's good as new.

I have mild asthma so the HEPA aspect of it was important to me.

http://www.cleanstream.com/filters_wetdry.html

Comment

Thanks everyone, i'll check those out.

Mark
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Mark - TWM

Do you own a real ShopVac or one made by some other company? If you own a real thing ShopVac then they should have filters and most likely collection bags for it.

I got tired of junky shop vacs and went for a nice industrial grade Milwaukee, but I have to warn everyone they do NOT come cheap. The good part is that with proper care one of them should last many years and they love to really EAT up dirt.

Comment

Just remember that you can't have it both ways. If you want good dust filtration, good for the lungs, you'll have to put up with cleaning the filter often. If you don't want to pull the maintenance necessary for good filtration then your lungs will suffer.

I have a shop vac that I use with my ROS. I have it setup with a HEPA filter and drywall bags. The bags definately help to keep the maintenance down but I still have to clean the filter quite often.

I also have another shop vac setup with a stock filter and the wrap around filter paper that I use to vacuum up sawdust and general junk. The filter paper helps some but it also gets clogged up fairly quickly which causes the vac to run sluggish.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

For anyone using a shop-vac as a primary dust collection method, I can't recommend highly enough to consider getting a ClearVue cyclone. I have one mounted onto the lid of a 20 gallon metal trash can. It takes out all the wood chip sized stuff and probably 90% of the sawdust / fine dust.

Two weeks ago my vacuum suction was starting to suffer. When I opened it up to clean the filter I found that my Ridgid 12gal vac was actually full. That shocked me... so I opened up the cyclone can, and it was *full*. Emptying it out I realized the walnut chips at the bottom were from a project I did way back in November. Unknowingly (I've been pretty busy lately) I'd gone 4 months without emptying my cyclone can, and only then, with about 30 gallons of collected chips and dust, did my shop-vac suffer for it!

Now, caveat: I do not use this setup for my planer or jointer, as it simply cannot keep up with the amount of waste produced...

Second caveat: For the money you'll spend on a ClearVue and can, ducting, etc... you could probably buy the full size DC unit from Harbor Freight. I think Badger Dave has given it props a few times in the past. But for my shop, with very low ceilings (they touch my head) and scant extra space, that wasn't an option for me...

Comment

I too have a 16 gal Shop Vac brand vacuum. I got tired of washing filters so I've started using the yellow bags and the light green filters. As has been said before the bags aren't cheap, but they are worth every penny of the $7.00 a pop that they costs. They do last a long time in general use, however if your using your vac for a dust collection system, then adding the cyclone would be better.
                    I also added the hose upgrade, it is the super flexible one that is 10 ft long. This made a big difference in the useablility of the vac.

Right now, the Delta DC is on sale at Lowe's for $179. and if you use the 10% off moving coupon it brings it down to the cost of a high end shop vac.
                    sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Comment

I have an original Shop Vac vacuum. It's the one I put on my big trash can contraption I made not long ago.

I have used the Hepa and don't like it. It plugs in minutes. I normally use this vac on my style and rail routers. I have my evap running too so having some minor dust is not a big issue. I guess I got spoiled with the old Genie vacuum with the brown filter paper filters. The pleats were about 1/2" apart and a few raps on the inside of the vac and everything fell out.

When i'm making raised panel doors, I can fill 3, 40 gallon bags in about 2 hours making 30+ complete doors.

I have a big Jet dust collector for my TS and sometimes use it on my big shaper too. It's just so darn hard to empty the bag that I used my shopvac on the shaper now too. I guess making it soooo easy to empty is getting me in the habit of NOT using my big one. Sometimes I just get ticked and turn the evap on high and blow the filter with my air gun and let it fog the neighbors! LOL Probably not the best thing to do.

I"ll try putting on the other metal bottom filter and see if it will stay on. It fits pretty snug. Atleast I can tap them clean.
                      Last edited by The Wood Meister; 03-22-2008, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X