X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like a piano tuner...

I was looking into going to some workshops at the local woodcraft store when it hit me. If I take the tablesaw101 one-day class... I'll probably be given demonstrations and tips on a high-end $2000 saw. For a newbie like me... I am doubtful on the accuracy of my own saw... and don't have a dial indicator... etc. It would be much easier if someone could come to my garage to give me demonstrations on, and help me learn to fine tune my own tools. Here's my point... they have piano tuners because a piano cannot be easily taken to a repair shop... so shouldn't someone should offer in-house instruction on woodworking and tools. It might end up being a good idea for the right person... $$$? Any comments?

Re: Like a piano tuner...

There may well be someone in the greater Chicago area that would be willing to do that. Try asking at that Woodcraft store if they know of someone. If not, try placing a "Wanted" ad on craigs list.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Cool... I know I don't live in the nicest areas of chicago... it might be hard to find a teacher... but it's worth a try...

Comment

Here in Kansas City, one of the Woodcraft instructors offers house-visit service. Definitly check with Woodcraft and their instructors.

Jon
        Still able to count to 21....

Comment

jsut because you don't have the same quality of saw does not mean one can not learn on it,

In drivers ed did you learn on the same type of car you drove? then or now?

the only problem with working on a "better saw" is the want factor, and the desire factor may have you wanting to get a better saw, but then you may find out what you have is good for your needs as well.

table saw are much like cars, they for the most part have one blade and a fences and some miter groves, yes the $2000 saw will have less vibration and be a solider feel, but a lower cost can be very good as well, I have used some high end saws and was not thrilled with them and I have used some lower end units and have been impressed with them.

but learn to drive safely then worry about the machinery you will use, later.

(and jsut for the record my first table saw as a skil type saw bolted with carriage bolts under a piece of plywood, and a piece of angle iron and clamps for a fence, set on saw horses), yes it lacked much of what a small saw has to day, but it did do what a table saw normally does and that is rip wood.

tools do help in craftsmanship, but even with the best tools does not mean one will turn out great pieces, and a true craftsman with just so so tools can turn out wonderful work,
          a lot jsut depends on the person and his skills, normally wood working is not excessively precision a few thousands of an inch normally will not make or break you, on many instances a few hundreds of an inch are not going to be that major, yes there are times that it does make a difference, but many times it does not.
          wood moves more than many materials and learning it nature is many times more important than absolute precision,

nothing against some one coming to your shop to teach you, but I would suggest going to a class if that is what you feel your need is, even if it is not on your tools, (one thing is they may show you some jigs and methods on how to do a project easier and how to proceeded on some things, (you may want to invest in some helper tools and jigs), that one could not show you how to do some things with out building or buying them to show you with,

and on most accessories are basically universal few saws are truly propriety in there accessories,
          what I am saying if you would buy XYZ accessories more than likely it will work on BYD saw and even OMP saws as well.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Join a local WW club. You will find all sorts of support, including, I'm sure, someone with a similar saw to yours where you can visit him or he, you and compare notes. A local WW club offers many benefits.

gator

Comment

All good advice... I don't consider myself to be a complete newbie... and although woodshop class was long ago... we were never taught how to do a "tune-up" on the machines "we just used them and they were industrial quality)!!! I guess in the end... most of it is just trial and error. For example... I opted in purchasing a craftsman miter guage extension + box joint jig combo (instead of building a crosscut sled). Well... the craftsman accessory is very sturdy and fits the ridgid miter guage nicely... but I still can't get perfect 90 degree crosscuts with it and my 3650. After all the fuss, I realized that there is too much "play" in the miter guage slot. In the "mastering table saws" dvd I have... the instructor shows how to use a hammer + metal punch to expand the miter bar... but the ridgid miter bar is not a one-piece bar... so I'm unaware if I can use this option. So do I find a way to fix the ridgid miter bar or do I buy the incra with the adjustable bar and attach my jig to it??? Or should I just get brave enough to build a crosscut sled???
              I definitely prefer to learn from my own mistakes... but I hate the fact that it is costing me in $$$ spent... and I get sad at the box of wasted wood in the garage corner... (Yes... I did read the thread about scrap wood... and maybe i can use mine to put my dremel and carving bits to some good use)...

Comment

Working...
              X