X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Make This Cut?

As a very new novice, I need some help on what is probably an elementary question. What is the best way to cut out a notch in the end of a 2 x 4. That is if looking at the wide side of a 2 x 4, cut out a trough or notch so that if the end of the 2 x 4 was butted up against a flat surface, only the outside edges of the 2 x 4 end would make contact. The notch or cutout is about 2.5" wide and maybe 1/2" deep. I am trying to use these as lateral components in a workbench that is easy to make, but can be easily assembled and disassembled (goes inside the house). What tools or methods are best for making this cut(s)? make the cut shown below, in the end of a 2 x 4? This is for lateral components on a workbench inside a house that may need to come apart later. The cut is notching or cutting out the end the of the 2 x 4. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,

- Phil
    Last edited by Phil3; 03-22-2008, 03:20 PM. Reason: My diagram did not look correct.

Re: How to Make This Cut?

Originally posted by Phil3 View Post
    As a very new novice, I need some help on what is probably an elementary question. What is the best way to cut out a notch in the end of a 2 x 4. That is if looking at the wide side of a 2 x 4, cut out a trough or notch so that if the end of the 2 x 4 was butted up against a flat surface, only the outside edges of the 2 x 4 end would make contact. The notch or cutout is about 2.5" wide and maybe 1/2" deep. I am trying to use these as lateral components in a workbench that is easy to make, but can be easily assembled and disassembled (goes inside the house). What tools or methods are best for making this cut(s)? make the cut shown below, in the end of a 2 x 4? This is for lateral components on a workbench inside a house that may need to come apart later. The cut is notching or cutting out the end the of the 2 x 4. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,

- Phil
    I think I would use a jig saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil3 View Post

Thanks,

- Phil
      Also, if they are short enough (say 2' across) then I would use a stacked dado on the TS.

Comment

I would have to agree with cpw. A jig saw would be the quickest and easiest. Another option would be a hand saw held verticle and perpendicular to the end of the board.
        If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Are you trying to describe a "half lap joint"????

This is a joint where the two pieces are notched equally so when put together they make a 90 degree angle and are flush with each other. The half lap joint is typically used to make work bench legs etc.

If indeed this is what you're describing then you have a myriad of ways to accomplish this.

1. table saw with dado blade
          2. table saw without dado blade but then you end up making many cuts
          3. radial arm saw with dado blade or a regular blade
          4. router with rabbit bit
          5. jig saw

And of course a sharp chisel to clean up the cuts. Then you can secure the joint with 3-4 1 5/8 screws

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
            Are you trying to describe a "half lap joint"????

This is a joint where the two pieces are notched equally so when put together they make a 90 degree angle and are flush with each other. The half lap joint is typically used to make work bench legs etc.

If indeed this is what you're describing then you have a myriad of ways to accomplish this.

1. table saw with dado blade
            2. table saw without dado blade but then you end up making many cuts
            3. radial arm saw with dado blade or a regular blade
            4. router with rabbit bit
            5. jig saw

And of course a sharp chisel to clean up the cuts. Then you can secure the joint with 3-4 1 5/8 screws

Cactus Man
            I did not know what a half-lap joint was, so looked it up. What I am trying to is not that. If you stood the 2 x 4 on end, on the floor, and looked at it from the wide side, you would see the 2 x 4 contacting the floor on board edges, about 3" apart, with an approximate 3" x 1-1/2" "trough" through the side of the 2 x 4 responsible for the absence of wood and the two resulting edges. If I can scan a drawing, I will post that way so it can be seen.

I just thought that another way to state this is if you took a 2 x 4 and drilled a big hole in the side. Now, cut the 2 x 4 in half, cutting right down the center of the big hole. This is what I am looking to do, but the "half-hole" would have a flat surface bottom and straight angled 45 degree sides. Hope this makes sense.

- Phil

Comment

Like this?
              Attached Files

Comment

I agree with the jig saw as the tool of chioce. If you don't have a jig saw then use a skill saw, cut the 2 45 degree cuts first and then cut several 90 degree cuts with the saw set to the depth of the bottom of the 45 degree cut. You should end up with several pieces in between about 1/8" wide, hit them side ways with a hammer and they will break out and then clean the bottom with a chisel. Jig saw is much easier.

Food for thought: If you think you can't you won't

Comment

Maybe it's a bad night for my head, but I'm not visualizing exactly what you mean... is the "notch" going all the way through the 2" thickness of the 2 x 4 on the end? (Sort of like a "C" or "U"). That you could cut with a sabre saw (jig saw). But if it was only part way through, the only way would be to use a router, and then square off the corners with a chisel.

I think I understand your need for an easy to assemble and take apart joint. Not clear how you would do that with the joint as you describe.

Personally, I'm rather fond of using a mortice and tenon joint for this kind of application. Simply cut a through mortice in your leg pieces and use a longer tenon to pass through the square hole (mortice). With a hole in the outter portion of the tenon, then use a wedge to hold them tight when in use. Easy to take apart and re-assemble.

All the work can be done with a table saw and a decent wood chisel and/or done with a router if you have one. I cut my tenons on a router table and all the mortices with a chisel. It's not too hard at all... especially in pine.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                    Like this?
                    Yes, exactly! - Phil

Comment

Originally you said the notch would only be 1/2" deep, you could set your skil saw at 45 and 1/2" cut depth, this would give you crisp 45's. The remaining straight cut would need to be done with a jig saw, of course the entire cut could also be done with a jig saw but that would be slower and likely less accurate

Comment

2 - 45s the hight you need then dado the center out same hight with a jig for your cir.saw and one for the router on long boards .jest use the t.s on short ones

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                          Like this?
                          Easily performed on a bandsaw. Use a jig saw if no BS.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X