Making flexible sanding strips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making flexible sanding strips

I need some ideas on making flexible sanding strips. I tried cutting a thin stip on a piece of wood thinking it would be flexible enough but no luck (it was from a 2x4). What are some good materials to use? I thougth about plastic or cardboard as a possibility. This is going to be used to smooth some curves into mdf.

Re: Making flexible sanding strips

Poplar might be a better choice for the backer. You have to cut it really thin, though. I have some 1/4" plexiglass that I'll make some with, just haven't got around to it yet.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I don't know if they will be flexible enough for you but you might want to try using those sticks that come with popsicles. You can find them at most any craft store and they come in different widths.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Hickory might work wellfor this application. it is extremely strong and holds up to abuse very well as be flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by jparson1 View Post
          Hickory might work wellfor this application. it is extremely strong and holds up to abuse very well as be flexible.
          jparson, you may well be correct! I've got a bit of hickory left over that's too cracked to use for most anything else. I'll try making a thin strip cut from it this week. I'll let you know how it works out!
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Try gluing sandpaper to some strips of plastic laminate. Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
              Try gluing sandpaper to some strips of plastic laminate. Works for me.
              That seems like a winner. Everything I have tried made out of wood hasnt been flexible enough. Something like plastic laminate might be perfect.

Comment

They make sanding sponges. You can get them at HD or lowes.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Working...
                X