design for wet/dry vacs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• design for wet/dry vacs?

Hello, I am a design student from Auburn University. We are currently working with Emerson tool company (the makers of Ridgid wet/dry vacs) in redesigning the vac. I stumbled upon this forum to look for research on what users commonly find wrong with current models. So far the information I have received has been invaluable. Thank you. If you own a Ridgid wet/dry vac and have some free time please list any problems you have with its user functions. Any additional ideas on improving existing wet/dry vacs would also be very welcomed. Either reply on this post or feel free to email me at - carsode@auburn.edu.

[ 01-30-2003, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: design_student ]

I have a RIDGID 16 gal 2-in-1 wet/dry vac I bought 2 years ago, and I've had zero trouble trouble with it. If I had to find something I'd improve, I guess I could say a longer hose, less noise, and a pump that actually pumps with an inlet and outlet hose without needing to empty the bin would be on my list. It's a great vac and will be hard to improve.

Comment

I agree with Rick, even it it's an accessory, a 12 or 15 foot hose would be really nice. Or at least be able to buy the hose by the foot.

I read somewhere on this board the new 6.5 hp 2in1 has a design flaw concerning the mounts for the brushes. If I remember correctly, after about 20 minutes of leaf blowing the plastic brush mounts melted and allowed the brushes to pivot and be ate up by the motor. Also, the motor casing is sold as a complete unit, and not in seperate pieces. Rendering the unit basically as "junk". I have 2 of the 6.25 hp 2in1 Vacs, and the new 6.0 hp vac that has been giving me hours upon hours of flawless service. I also have the 6.5 hp 2in1 in an unopened box and until I hear this was a isolated inncodent, I'm returning it for a full refund.
      This just may be what your looking for as a student, and the dedicated professionals that use Ridgid Wet/Dry Vacs sure wouldn't mind getting this straightened out!

Also there have been many posts about dry wall dust clogging. This would be an exellent topic to address.

For this day in age, you're dealing with the high end products from Ridgid, and fighting the "affordable to everyone" market they follow.
      I don't envy your quest for fixes and solutions by any means by these level of standards.
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I just bought the 20 gallon Ridgid vac with 6.25 horse power and the muffler is great for the blower end. I can't find anything wrong so far but I agree with the others about such a short hose on such a big machine. I love it a wouldn't change a thing on mine I bought that the salesmen told me was a special. Good luck trying to improve the best!

Comment

If Ridgid vacs have a weak spot it is their filter and fine dust. I have told this story more than once but for the sake of getting it fixed I tell it again. I was cleaning up after dry walling and every 5 minutes or so I had to stop take the filter out and beat the dust off it. After doing this a few times a sub on the job offered me his Shop Vac with an aux dry wall bag in it. I’m not exactly sure how it worked but I do know I finished cleaning without having to stop again. I think the bag directs the dust down to the bottom of the barrel rather than straight into the filter. Also I think when you shut the machine off from time to time the dust falls off the bag. In any case we are waiting for the our Ridgid vac to quit and then we are going to get a Shop Vac unless Ridgid solves the problem first.
          Rev Ed

Comment

As I use botha Ridgid and Shop Vac, there are two things that need to be updated.

First, put a tube extending into the canister for a drywall bag to attach. My Shop Vac has this tube and I use the drywall dust bags. NEVER have to clean a filter with sawdust or anything else.

Second, instead of exhausting the air out of a single port, move it through multiple openings so the force of air is not so great coming out.

Comment

Working...
            X