Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What would you change about the TS3650?

Add my vote, for a riving knife, but I do realize there is no easy way to do it with the current lift mechanism.

Comment

I love this question.
      As everyone said:
      1. A Riving Knife option that can be back ported to the TS3650, I say this because there is a new version TS3660 and I don't know the differences
      2. Outfeed table
      3. Motor on the left side or inside "this will definitely shorten the foot print"
      4. More standard miter Gauge grooves so that a standard tenon jig can fit without having to re-build it or modify it.
      5. Pre drilled holes on the edges of the tables so that you can easily add an extension table without having to drill into the side of the cast iron table extension.
      6 an Optional Biesemeyer commercial type fence and rails. There should be 30, 36, and 50” but even if only 36” is available it would be great, however I don’t want to start making all kinds of holds to install it, it should be especially made to be retrofitted in the existing holes.
      7. As important as all above improvements easily to find replacement parts, I think if HD is the main representative for Ridgid they should cary all acessories and most changable parts like inserts, drive belt, and so on...

And as everyone said, This saw is the best saw in its price point but it has the main bones to be even better by why of optional upgrades and accessories I for one would be in line to buy them.

Comment

You guys are on the right track....switch location is a bit of an issue with me as well. I also like the suggestions about being OF table-ready. As far as the miter, I've done some pretty amazing (and accurate) cuts with mine. No complaints about the fence, either. As far as value, I am still pleased with my 3650 which, at the time was going for over five. Got lucky with some promos and got mine for well under four. I'm not sure you can get THAT much better value/features in a saw that costs so much more.

Comment

My only addition would be a miter gauge with a bar which is adjustable for contact within the slot. There's just too much slop in the stock gauge. While I'm on the miter gauge I have noticed that the "U" shaped slots in the head that are for securing an extension are not a standard width. I had to file mine out to accept what I believe from recall is a 1/4" bolt.
          Later,
          Chiz

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
            Better switch is a great idea. I'd move it to the left side too.

I just got the TS3660 and you could mount the switch on the left or the right side, is that a change from the TS3650?

Comment

Originally posted by gbm13 View Post
              I just got the TS3660 and you could mount the switch on the left or the right side, is that a change from the TS3650?
              Same for the 3650, you can put it on either side.

Comment

Some people prefer a big paddle switch mounted lower that you can hit with your knee to turn it off if both hands are occupied (think of a sheet of 3/4" ply that starts to bind or slide sideways because it hit something you forgot to remove from the outfeed table, etc).

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I moved my switch to the left side so all I have to do is bump it with my knee to shut it off, which leaves both hands free. It took about 5 minutes at most.
                  Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Comment

After using my 3650 a few times seems like moving the switch to the left side is the best position for it. Seems I'm always trying to find it on that side because thats where it was on the old Craftsmans TS i was using.

Comment

I would change the mitre gage tray for a stronger one. This one is flimsy.

I would put a a more resistant paint on the body. This one scratch easily, especialy aroud the mittre gage tray.

I would put the angle lock knob a bit lower.

Comment

I'd like to see a paddle switch on each side of the table so that I can hit the off switch with my knee from either side. When I'm on the right side of the saw (not often) it's awkward to reach with my free hand for the off switch on the left side (also potentially dangerous).

Pre-drilled holes on the right side of the table wing for installing a router table would be nice.

The motor hanging out the back is a minor bit of peach fuzz, as is the location of the dust control port. I bump my head every time I attach or unattach my shop vac.

Otherwise I think the saw is the best thing since peanut butter. Too bad HD doesn't think so, too.

Blind Bill

Comment

I could never get used to that switch on either side. Grizzly sells a paddle switch like the Steel City saw's have for $20 delivered. It doesn't include a mounting box, but a few bucks at Home Despot found a gray plastic conduit enclosure. Some scrap aluminum was bent to form a mounting bracket.

The tool apron was $2 at Harbor Freight.

Comment

I'd like to see the rails upgraded to something stronger. There's no need for most of us to have the motor out the back so I guess moving that makes sense to gain some improvements there.

Comment

1. riving knife
                              2. blade guard with dc port
                              3. standard t slot size in rip fence
                              4. easier to align rip fence

PMB
                              http://benchmark.20m.com

Comment

Working...
                              X