Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you change about the TS3650?

I've been thinking, if you could change the TS3650 (or 3660), what would you change. Here are some things on my list:
    (1) The t-track on the fence sides should be accessible from the front not just the back.
    (2) Factory rail upgrades. I don't know if I'll ever use it; but when it came in two boxes it would seam reasonable to be able to get it with 52" rails like the decked out Biesemeyers you see.
    (3) Built in connections for an out feed table so you don't have to go finding angle, drilling and cutting it.
    (4) Big off paddle with an inset on button instead of the yellow keyed switch.

Not meant to knock the saw, and I know that I can do some if it myself; and that if they put in every feature it wouldn't be such the amazing value it is (especially at the $420 or $467 that lots of people have gotten it for recently). Just curious what others think.

Re: What would you change about the TS3650?

I like the idea of being able to put things into the rail t-tracks from the front. It's a persnickity little complaint...but it's a complaint.

It would also be nice to be able to drop in a table extension without having to be a metal-worker. I never have l-bracket around.

For the price, though, I'm really happy with the 3650. I've learned a lot with it and will continue to use it as the main part of my workshop for many more years.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

After spending a little time tweaking a few things on my new 3660 I discovered that I really do like this saw. I would like to see the legs beefed up a little. Also making it easier to get to trunnion bolts at the front of the saw. With that said, for the money this is a good saw.

Comment

Thats easy, I would make it a little shorter. I am on the short side (5'4") and pushing a wood past the blade is a bit of reach for me. If the 3650 were just a tad lower I would feel much safer. Luckily my garage floor is not level so I put the saw in a low spot and stand in a high spot .

Comment

1. I'd definitely move the motor inside the cabinet making it a modern hybrid...unless you need to remove the motor frequently, there is no advantage to the outboard location and definitely are several disadvantages. That's a 60 year old design and it's purpose really no longer exists.

2. Switch to a steel fence with t-tracks like the Grizzly Alumarip Classic fence.

2a. Offer a version with rails with 50" rip capacity, and a router table extension option.

3. USe a standard 4" dust port instead of the 2-1/2"

4. Maybe a little coarser thread on the blade height wheel...takes too many turns to raise and lower.
          Last edited by hewood; 03-27-2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Bigger paddle switch for on/off is the single simple thing I'd change. Wouldn't cost any more. I really am not a fan of current switch.

Picking nits, the stock blade is mediocre at best and the miter gauge is only really much good for 90* crosscuts...but that is par for the course at this pricepoint. My buddies Jet workshop has a mitergauge that is similar or worse, and the stock fence is not as good as the Ridgid. I'd probably replace any stock blade that wasn't great anyway.

Overall, if it was a modern hybrid design with motor in-board it would be a great upgrade... but if that really had mattered that much to me I would have spent more and bought a Jet Proshop or Craftsman zipcode. Or even a griz. Really not that big a deal to me right now.

Comment

1. Integrated router table on the right side. If you didn't want the router table then it would just be extra rip table space.

2. Optional outfeed table.

3. Make it coin operated for when you're friends come over to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by gator95 View Post
                Bigger paddle switch for on/off is the single simple thing I'd change...
                Better switch is a great idea. I'd move it to the left side too.

Comment

we have a powermatic modell 66 at work and that saw is real joy to use for the things that we do at work. but when i come home and do the things i do at home i'm always glad i bought my 3650 and know that it will stand up to whatever challenge i throw at it. it would be nice to have more ripping capacity but any thing over the 36 inch mark is more than i need it for right now. the switch on the left side would be a real plus. love the fence more than i do the one on the powermatic and wouldn't trade it for anything except a SAWSTOP................ Happy and safe cutting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The 36" rip capacity is the reason I bought my 3650, it would be nice to have available a longer set of rails if I ever wanted to increase the capacity.

The only other thing is the out-feed table, it would be really nice if it was set up to make it a lot simpler to add on a table, other wise, this saw is perfect!!

Comment

Get rid of the cheesy plastic on the fence and beef up the motor to a 15-18 amp.

Comment

Riving knife and steel rails (as hewood said).
                        Make the rails adjustable - if you don't need 36" of rip capacity all the time it would make the footprint smaller.

Comment

First off, I love my TS3650. I would change a couple of things though.

1. I agree with the others, access to the t-track on the fence should be from the front as well as the back.

2. An easier way to attach an outfeed table, preferably a free retro kit for all of us (LOL)

3. A 4" DC port instead of the 2 1/2" that comes iwth the saw.

As far as the swith being on the right or left, I don't understand. My switch placement is totally adjustable and I placed it to the far left of te front rail.

Comment

two things that shouldn't add much cost to this saw.

A nice paddle off switch over what is existing.
                            A Riving Knife option.
                            Both of these would increase the safety of this saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketir View Post
                              two things that shouldn't add much cost to this saw.

A nice paddle off switch over what is existing.
                              A Riving Knife option.
                              Both of these would increase the safety of this saw.
                              I have no way of remotely estimating the actual cost, but a riving knife can't be easily retrofitted to the existing undercarriage and would require a major design change that'd require much retooling of the manufacturing line. It'd be fairly costly. That's one reason most manufacturers haven't done it without a being forced to, but AFAIK, it'll be mandatory very soon.

A paddle switch should be an easy bolton at a fairly low additional cost though.

Comment

Working...
                              X