Hand Planes, Make'in curls!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David,

Having used this system, how long are your irons and chisels holding an edge? Just curious as I began sharpening using this method (Scary Sharp) and am pleased with the results. I take it that re-sharpening requires 2000 grit while lapping and honing using the 2 degree bevel? Any observations are appreciated. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Patrick<br />patrickssmith@cox.net<br />members.cox.net/patrickssmith

Comment

Patrick,

It's not this method over any other that will determine how often you will need to resharpen. It's dependent on the type of steel used in the chisel or plane blade, whether the original R56-R62 temper is still there or has been removed by overheating, and the amount of use that you'll be making of the tool.
      I use a 2 degree bevel and 2200 for the occasional honing just to return them to razor sharpness.

David

[ 06-12-2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Cutbuff ]

Comment

Thanks David, I wasn't aware that this determined how long a something keeps its edge. The chisels that I just finished were short of shaving arm hair completely, but take pieces of red oak with very little effort. Very much an improvement over previous experience. Can't wait to do the plane irons. Thanks again. [img]smile.gif[/img]
        Patrick<br />patrickssmith@cox.net<br />members.cox.net/patrickssmith

Comment

Working...
        X