X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router suggestion

I would like suggestions or experiences you have had with routers and which one you would recommend. Im looking for a good one that can handle well both works with and without a router table.I would preffer to expend a little more now and make a one time buy that can last me many years and can be used for different applications. I have though on the Triton 3hp model , the Bosh 1619E and Porter Cable 7538. Based on experience, warranty, which one will you guys recommend?

Re: Router suggestion

Porter Cable is a good safe brand to go with and there are lots of accessories for it. If you want to use it in both table mount and hand use you might be better off with a combo kit with dedicated bases. Plunge bases are going to be a bit of a pain to adjust on a table. You'd definately want a fixed base for that. You really can't go wrong with most of the big names when it comes to routers.

Comment

Those are all good routers. I like the Triton.

Comment

Bosch makes excellent Routers. While I have never used a 1619;I do like the plunge base of my 1617 kit a whole lot. I also have a 1618evs d handle. Nice router but I'm not terribly impressed w/ d handles(I swap the EVS motor out of it when I need variable speed w/ my 1617 fixed base or plunge base{motor w/ my kit is single speed}).
        You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

i personally like the triton 2 and1/4 router, it does a good job

on all kinds of materials. i purchased the router from WOODWORKER supply, i also purchased the base plate for table mount from
          woodpecker supply, the router comes with a case, a edge guide,
          and many extras, the only thing i did for table mount was to remove
          the plastic window to remove the locking mech. this router makes a snap of changing bits from the top of the table

Comment

I have the DeWalt 618PK three-base kit and love it.

The fixed base is mounted in my table..
            I use the D-handle base for most of my free-hand operations and especially with my dovetail jig. I use the plunge base for those specialized tasks that warrant plunging.

Comment

Food for thought....you might be better served by buying two routers, a smaller one for hand use, and a big one for mounting permanently in a router table. Routers that are best suited for table use tend to be very heavy to use for hand use, and routers that are comfortable for hand use tend to be rather weak for the toughest router table tasks (like making raised panels for doors).

Not sure if Amazon ships to Puerto Rico, but they currently have the Hitachi KM12VC 11 Amp 2-1/4 Horsepower Plunge and Fixed Base Variable Speed Router Kit for $99 shipped. The Hitachi M12V2 and Freud FT2200 3hp routers go on sale < $150 fairly often. That'd give you two well respected dedicated routers for different applications for a reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                Not sure if Amazon ships to Puerto Rico, but they currently have the Hitachi KM12VC 11 Amp 2-1/4 Horsepower Plunge and Fixed Base Variable Speed Router Kit for $99 shipped. The Hitachi M12V2 and Freud FT2200 3hp routers go on sale < $150 fairly often. That'd give you two well respected dedicated routers for different applications for a reasonable price.
                Nope, they don't. They'll ship everything except power tools

Comment

I have the Rigid 2.25 horsepower router that came with the plunge base. Haven't used that base, but mounted the router to a good table and we're using it to build cabinets for the house remodel.
                  Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Comment

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki.../011189054.pdf

I found this, and am going to buy the triton on monday, have to run mother into the city for an eye exam, so will run over to the tool store to pick it up.
                    §m€llŸ™

Comment

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=27782

this link will work better than the previous post
                      §m€llŸ™

Comment

Working...
                      X