X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made in USA

Does anyone know if and where I can buy a good set of drill bits MADE IN THE USA? Hopefully without having tp pay a small fotune. It's getting pretty tuff to find much of any thing made here anymore, but I try to buy American when I can!

Thanks

Re: Made in USA

While I fully support the whole "Made In American" thing I think you would be hard pressed to find anything truly made in American from start to finish these days. No matter how you spin it this is a global economy where manufacturers do whatever it takes to produce things for the lowest cost. Even is something says Made in America who knows how much of it actually was. I think what is more important is quality vs price.

Comment

Dana,

Do a Google search for "American made drill bits" and you'll get several hits. Here's an example (sorry that they are not links, but do the Google and you'll get several):

American made Norseman TM Magnum Super Premium heavy duty drill bits

Aircraft Drill Bits 80-100PC Set Military Aircrafft Drill Bit Sets Made in U.S.A. PRICE: $19.99. American Made Drills by Precision Twist Drill Co

The Vermont American 13137 10-Piece Hex Shank Drill Bit Set is designed for quick bit ... Best Drill Bits for the Price - MADE IN USA!!!!

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Last I knew Vermont American and Irwin were still made in USA.I find it much easier here in the Philippines to find USA made drill bits and a few other tools then in California.Keep an eye out for made in Brazil drills and taps as some of those are extremely good.
        Sam

Comment

It's funny... my car is a chevy aveo (gm)... and it was designed by daewoo of korea... chevy decided to buy in on the daewoo deal and badged the cars to be sold in the U.S. So the car I.D. plate states that the "chevy aveo" was manufactured by daewoo motors korea. (oh... and the body was designed by a french engineering company). I'm all for global exporting and importing... but I think the U.S. needs to remember that it is still possible to manufacture products at our home!!! It's not going to be easy for us to survive as a "service based" country. It affects every market... even for me, a funeral director... the newest metal caskets being offered through our suppliers are mass produced in china and shipped to the U.S. in bulk. The lower price tag on these caskets doesn't make me any happier... not because it lowers the funeral bill... but because it takes away that much more from our U.S. casket producing factories. Lost jobs due to technology... CNC machines... self grocery store checkouts... e-mail... I could go on forever!!! My father has been in tool and die for a number of years... and a once good career has been crushed by the cheaper computer controlled tool and die offerings of other countries. My father did have the option of learning to program cnc's... but even then, he still would not be valuable as a machinist!!! I hate to go on about this... but I remember one more thing...
          Once I was given a small american flag at a 4th of july parade... and on the mylar flag... just below the last stripe was printed...
          MADE IN CHINA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dana G. View Post
            Does anyone know if and where I can buy a good set of drill bits MADE IN THE USA? Hopefully without having tp pay a small fotune. It's getting pretty tuff to find much of any thing made here anymore, but I try to buy American when I can!

Thanks
            Try MSC industrial supply - they are more metalworking oriented but as far as twist drills go you can probably pick your country! Their catalog is over 4000 pages

Comment

Depending on the type of drill bits you need, try looking at Precision Twist Drill. They are USA based as as far as I know still make most if not all of their products here.

The last I looked much from IRWIN says China on the package and product.

Here are some web sites you might like to check out.

http://www.regalcuttingtools.com/about_us.html

http://www.precisiondormer.com/

Regarding MSC Industrial Supply, their phone number is 1-800-645-7272 and their interactive web site is http://www.mscdirect.com
              Last edited by Woussko; 03-30-2008, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Dana G., Ace Hardware sells some store-brand American made drillbits. The regular duty bits are made in China, but the Heavy Duty line is labeled Made in the USA. They only cost a dollar or so more per bit compared to the Chinese ones.

Comment

Geez Irwin has import now too in the line huh.
                  The only time I recently bought bits has been here in the phils or in the states if I couldn't find the right size in my box for tapping something,thats rare.At a guess I have about 25 pounds of metal bits I got over the years.A couple years ago I spent a few days sharpening them all during a bad storm that kept me inside.
                  A couple days ago here I bought a Greenfield brand wood chisel here in the phils.Local laws it seems don't require stating country of manufacture but most things are stamped with it.On this the package said designed in USA for Greenfield tools and that was all.So far it seems like good tool steel and kept an edge.I bought an Unistar brand file the same day thats stamped made in Japan.I keep trying different brands here that are new to me but still avoid them if stamped made in China.
                  This trip I brought over a couple Marshalltown concrete finishing tools for my carpenter friend.He was totally amazed at the quality and feel of them compared to the stuff hes used to using.The funny part is hes a contractor here and laid block for years but never saw a line level till I gave him 1 this time,I haven't seen them here for sale either.
                  Sam

Comment

Re: Made in USA (Forest City)

Holbren sells the "Forest City" line of drill bits that are owned by Whiteside and made in the USA. Whiteside is better known for their top rated US made router bits.

http://www.holbren.com/product.php?p...cat=659&page=1

They have free shipping too...

Comment

You can also try Klien Tools They are an Made in America company also. Your electrical supply stores would have more of a selection the Home Depot.

Comment

Working...
                      X