X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 cutting through more than 1.5" hardwood

My TS3650 is hooked up as 120V. When ripping through 3" thick walnut, after about 6" into the cut, the motor can't handle it and blows a fuse. I am using a 40T Dewalt combination full kerf blade (DW7657). The only way to get around this is make about 4 cuts, raising the blade a little bit higher each time. The same thing with maple, had to make multiple passes, increasing the blade height a little at a time.

When ripping 2x4 spruce, it has a tough time, also lifting the piece.

Is my feed rate too slow?

If I were to buy a think kerf blade would this substantially help the TS3650 motor?

What thickness hardwood are other TS3650 owners able to cut in a single pass without tripping a CB or blowing a fuse and with what blade?
    -------------------------------------------
    Just an update, I managed to crosscut a 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" thick maple, it just seems that it can't do it for a long duration.
    Last edited by dieselgg; 03-30-2008, 05:59 PM.

Re: TS3650 cutting through more than 1.5" hardwood

I've lately been using a Freud TK blade (forget the model #, one of the common ones) and haven't had trouble with hardwoods. I was ripping through a 4" glue-up of 100-yr-old oak 2.0"), curly maple(1.5"), and walnut(1.5") and didn't have any trouble. My feed rate was slower than what I'd use for a 2x4, as would be expected, but it went through just fine. The blade is relatively new. It's cut some of the oak, walnut, and maple to make the glue-up.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

For ripping stock that thick you'd get better results with a rip blade than a combination blade. I've no personal experience with this particular blade but you might want to investigate the Freud LU71M010.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Could this be the reason. I had saved these files sometime ago and just remembered them now. The charts show that the effective rip range of my blade is 1.5". I assume that this is the maximum thickness it can handle without bogging down.
        Attached Files

Comment

3" is a pretty tall order for a 13 amp motor using a full kerf 40T blade. The DW7657 is a really nice general purpose blade IMO, especially for the price, but having 40 teeth and a thicker kerf make it a poor choice for ripping 3" walnut for a saw of this size. You'll find it much easier if you use a decent 24T thin kerf like an Infinity 010-124 or Freud LU87. Holbren's got an Amana A.G.E. 24T TK ripper for $24 and free shipping... (haven't tried this one, but they have a good reputation and Holbren is super to deal with) I've ripped QSWO to full blade height (~ 3-1/8") at a reasonable clip using a couple of different 24T TK rippers on my saw.

Also, make sure you're fence to blade alignment is spot on, and check the splitter alignment. The saw will have an easier time if the wood is flattened and straightened on a jointer prior to ripping too.

Originally posted by dieselgg View Post
          Could this be the reason. I had saved these files sometime ago and just remembered them now. The charts show that the effective rip range of my blade is 1.5". I assume that this is the maximum thickness it can handle without bogging down.
          Your assumption is essentially correct. The "effective rip range" of this chart is not an absolute...it's an approximate max thickness that a given blade would cut to with a reasonable feedrate without significant bogging using a 22124 hybrid saw, which is close enough in motor size to a 3650 to estimate.
          Last edited by hewood; 03-31-2008, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I've had no problems with motor bog down while cutting 2" thick Red Oak. Not the hardest wood in the world, but by slowing my feed rate slightly it goes just fine. I'm using the Freud Avanti 50T combination blade.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgg View Post
              the motor can't handle it and blows a fuse. I am using a 40T Dewalt combination full kerf blade (DW7657).
              Don't you have a penny? there harder to blow. Joking aside,

probly going to a true ripping blade would help more clearance in the teeth and fewer teeth to drive, the type of blade will make a larger difference and the clearance on the blade and the sides of the blade, and feed rate.

and 3" of thickness is a lot for a 1 1/2 horse motor.

the true simple of it is your wanting your saw to do some thing it was never really designed to do, if you want to cut 3" stock you need a 12" or larger blade with 5 to 10 hp motor, to really do the job correctly,
              If your patent and set it up correctly it will do it slowly, Kinda like using a block plane to plane out a table top,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

A rip blade will improve your feed rate and rip thickness capacity.
                If your saw is on an extension cord make sure it is short and 12 AWG.

Comment

Check the splitter alignment. It may be causing the wood to bind the blade, especially if you have the back of your fence canted out a few thousands or if the top of the splitter is causing it to push sideways (a lot of people align the splitter at the bottom but neglect checking to see if it is still behind the blade at the top. It isn't noticeable until you cut thick wood).
                  If you aren't using the splitter, the wood could be closing up on the blade.
                  If have cut 2 1/4" kiln-dried white oak with a Freud Avanti 60T thin kerf and with the full kerf 50T combination blade (LU84R010). It was slow but did a fine job.

Go
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I removed my splitter when I put the saw in storage for winter so I did not get around to installing it again. But I don't think I saw any binding of the wood. I wil l give it a try again.

By the way, I checked the alignment of my blade using the the 1/64th scale using a 6" rule. I marked one tooth with chalk and then checked the distance from the fence at the back of the saw and rotated the tooth to the front. As I accurately I could see with my eye, I think the blade is out of alignment by 1/64". Is this too much. The manual states that as long is it is less than 0.015" it is ok.

I guess I would have to go out and buy a dial indicator to be sure.
                    Last edited by dieselgg; 03-31-2008, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Less than 0.003" would be better....0.015" seems high to me but it really depends on which way it's off. If it's pinching in, 1/64" could definitely be a problem.

Comment

A 1/64th pinch on thick wood will definitely cause a problem if the rear of the blade is toward the fence. With thinner wood, it will also cause the wood to lift and kick up and back. I would correct that.

If you make your own inserts, you may want to consider gluing in a kerf-wide piece behind the blade to act as a splitter. Run your blade up through the new splitter. Reinstall another (stock splitter will do).. Align your fence to the edge of the insert cavity and lower it to 1/4" height. Place new spitter over the blade centered in the blade slot face down with back end toward you, and install a feather board or other device to prevent it from lifting. Start saw and push splitter across blade. Rip a kerf-wide piece off a scrap board and glue it in the slot with end grain into glue slot. Round off the leading edge with a rasp or sandpaper.

If you do a lot of thick wood, you can get fancy: Align the grain on the kerf-wide piece at 45 degrees (tilted forward) with the piece wider and run the blade up to the height needed for the cuts after the glue dries. In essence, you have made a riving knife.

Tip: Hard wood (walnut, rock maple, etc) wll last longer than pine as a splitter regardless of what the insert is made of.

Go
                        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I will reinstall the factory splitter for now. I have my blade aligned now and also aligned the fence. I will try some 3" cuts and see if I get an improvement.

Comment

FYI 1/64th" = approximately 0.015"

Comment

I have been cutting 2" hard maple, ash, sapelle, and cherry on the 3650. I use the thin kerf Freud 24 tooth ripping blade to rip and the Freud thin kerf 60 tooth crosscut blade. I was maticulous with blade alignment and used a dial guage to set up the blade. I was and am still amazed with the ease with which the saw and blade combo cut thru even the hard maple. Smooth and easy.

I think you have a binding issue or are pushing the stock thru too fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X