X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortising Machine and Kreg K3 Pocket Hole Kit

If I was looking to buy a mortising machine which one would be the best choice, Jet, Delta, Grizzly, or Craftsman?

Also, the Kreg K3 master pocket hole kit would that make a good investment?

Or should I just go ahead and buy both. Thoughts on either one, please.

Re: Mortising Machine and Kreg K3 Pocket Hole Kit

I don't have any experience with a mortising machine,
    but I do have the Kreg pocket hole kit and love it!
    If you are building cabinets it is indispensable.

Comment

don't know about the Kreg Master kit, but I have the Kreg pocket rocket set and it works for about everything I could want, and it costs a lot less.

Mortising machines... I have the JET... and if I had the option at the time, I would definitely have bought the Steel City mortising machine. Lots of nice features, fit and finish on that baby. Take a good look at that.

On the flip side, consider this thing instead of a dedicated mortiser. It takes up WAY less room, costs less, and will have infinitely less maintenance.
      www.mortisepal.com

I'm not affiliated, just a buyer/user. It was in the most recent Woodsmith magazine and I was instantly hooked. The only thing I foresee myself using the mortising machine for now is making square false-tenon mortises. Maybe I'll sell it... takes up a lotta space.

Comment

you can make your own morticing jig for the plunge router for about $4. it is super simple to setup and use.

http://www.shopnotes.com/files/issue...tising-jig.pdf

Comment

The Kreg jig is a MUST! I just built a cabinet for the garage and used one for the 1st time. WOW! I loved it! My son in law has the Grizzly Mortising machine and likes it alot. I have not used one myself...I am still a 'newbie'.

Comment

The kreg jigs are great, i dont know what i would do without mine. I first got the 20 dollar single hole jig and bit, then stepped up to the two hole model, like 40 bucks at lowe's. You will love it!

Dave

Comment

i know that mortisers run some where around $299 for a decent one, but the Kreg master kit will run you around $149. also, dont fall into the trap that this is just a cabinetmakers tool. it will join 2 pieces of wood into any configuration you wish. i have started to stud out my basement using pocket hole joinery. its mechanically stronger than any nail out there, and if i wish i can also add a dollop of glue just for overkill. go to the Kreg website and check out their little video presentation.
              there is a fine line between woodworker and tool collector....

Comment

I have owned one of the el cheapo pockethole jigs for several years, it was a PIA to use so it was never utilized much. I recently ordered one of the K3 Master sets with the free drawer slide jig from Rockler. Had the $10 off coupon which paid most of the shipping. Plus Kreg has the $20 mail in rebate going right now all so. Bottom line price was about $124.

The rebate is good when you buy from any Kreg dealer. The rebate form is on their website. www.kregtools.com
                sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Comment

You cant go wrong with the K3 kit. As far as a mortiser, I have the Delta 14-651 and it works great. Simple to use and set-up. I have had an issue with it, but it wasnt a design or operational issue. When the machine was assembled, a roll pin wasnt installed into the handle assembly. You are supposed to be able to pull the handle out of the body of the machine and change its position so you can get more stroke length. Without the pin, I pulled the handle completely out of the machine and because there is a gas operated lift, the whole carriage rotates upwards. You only have a small area to reinstall the pin, through the chuck area, behind the chuck and everything has to be lined up correctly to get the pin back in. Well as I said above, there was no pin to begin with, and in the middle of a job, there I stand holding the handle. It took about 3 hours to get the thing lined back up. I never installed a pin, but dont pull the handle completely out all the way when changing positions. If I used the machine alot, then I would fix it correctly. Other than the line worker not doing his-her job, this is the only problem I have had. Good machine otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                  X