1/4 inch dado blade......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4 inch dado blade......

ok guys I am getting ready for my first big project, it is a contemporary cabinet 80Hx30Wx16D will be made with 3/4 inch oak plywood . with 3 shelves, and two doors at the bottom. Oak tongue and groove edging. I have to make two of these cabinets because they will be used to make a "murphy bed", I will need a 1/4" dado blade to put on the ts 3650.... am not familair with this type of blade... can someone point me to a good blade. the dado will be used for the groove in the edging bands.

§m€llŸ™

Re: 1/4 inch dado blade......

Originally posted by smelly View Post
    ok guys I am getting ready for my first big project, it is a contemporary cabinet 80Hx30Wx16D will be made with 3/4 inch oak plywood . with 3 shelves, and two doors at the bottom. Oak tongue and groove edging. I have to make two of these cabinets because they will be used to make a "murphy bed", I will need a 1/4" dado blade to put on the ts 3650.... am not familair with this type of blade... can someone point me to a good blade. the dado will be used for the groove in the edging bands.

If you get a regular dado set like a Freud SD206 or SD208 you can use the two outside blades to get a 1/4" groove. They'll also go up to 13/16 so you can do the dado's for the 3/4" plywood.

Comment

ok thanks for the info ,now I was just reading the forums about a problem witht the arbor not being long enough. there was a link to some pics to see if my saw has this defect , but the link is nolonger good since the forums were played with a month ago now can some one help with this issue?????
      §m€llŸ™

Comment

ok I read somewhere a post from badgerdave saying somethig to the effect that I dont have the arbor problem since my saw was bought a year ago will still check it tho
        §m€llŸ™

Comment

Just to reiterate (and flog the dead horse), there never has been a problem with the arbor being too short. The only problem has been a badly machined end of the arbor that would make one blade rise or drop compared to the rest. The problem has been addressed and any saw manufactured since Feb 2005 (I believe it's Feb anyway) should be fine.

When using a dado set, you DO NOT have to use the shoulder washer. As has been said many times, the shoulder washer is only effective when the blade width is 1/8" or less. A dado set will typically be 1/4" or more.

Take care when mounting the dado blades that the teeth are offset from blade to blade so they can mesh properly. This means to set the teeth of the following blade into the gullet of the teeth in the blade that's mounted on the arbor. Follow that procedure and you should be fine. Once all the blades and shims are mounted, simply use the nut and tighten down appropriately.

When using a dado set it is imperative to check your depth. I will usually start by using my adjustable T-square to set the depth, run a test piece through and check the depth and width with the actual piece that'll be installed in the finished dado. You shouldn't have to force the piece in too much, but light taps should be required to get the piece to seat properly.

Good luck with your project! I hope you can post some pictures of your progress.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

smelly, just some food for thought. If the ¼" dados are for the shelves, you might want to upsize them. A 30" wide shelf made using ¼" stock will not hold much weight and most certainly will sag.
            ================================================== ====
            ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Working...
            X