X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best router

What is the best 3hp+ router for the money?

For what money, for what use?

If I were going to pick one 15 amp router for hand-held use it would be a different choice than for router table use. For that matter, for router table use it would be a different answer depending on whether I were going to use a lift or not.

There's lots of good machines on the market. That's why they continue to be there.

Dave

Comment

Really don't know as I only have a Freud 3 ½ HP Plunge FT2000E.Really like it. I bought it when I was expanding my shop and makeing the "ship lap" siding. Using cypress / raised panel (3")Bit it never "took a nap". I was VERRY pleased and would replace it with the same if something happended to it.(my girls, german sheppards, let someone into the yard and they were able to get into the shop)I do know that there are others out there simular, read the reviews. I would still get the Freud. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I was planning on making cabinet doors with the router and occasionly use it hand held for other projects. I like the Freud but I also like the Fein, Makita, and Bosch. I just want a quality tool that will last and not be a thrown away after a few projects.

Comment

I just picked up a Hitachi M12V for my router table from Amazon. $194 with accessories included before coupons. It's new so I can't attest to durability yet but it is "3.25" hp and 15 amps.
          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=228332
          Patrick

Comment

I've have 2 of the Frueds, both in router tables. Never used them free hand, but I love them in the tables. I have the porter cable dual base 1 3/4hp VS for free hand work, and that has all the HP I want in my hands. But I've lost about 20% use of my hands.

I've read some reviews on the new Triton done by individuals, not magazines. It's an excellent router for a table with a lift system so said. It's edge guide has a gap in the middle that will hang you up on corners though. And, it's pricey.

When spinning large bits, such as raised panels, you'll want one you can dial down, so look at slowest speed when deciding. I assume VS is your choice.
            John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

i couldnt be happier with my Makita RD-1101 kit
              \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
              X